Cosmic Dust
More on the Bush 07 Latin American Tour because it is just so precious. He flies around in that big jet with Lovely Laura at his side and everywhere they touch down there are throngs of pissed off people, leaders with big demands and a guy named Hugo shadowing his every move. This can't be fun, especially with the shit storm going on back home. (how the Hell can someone be named Scooter? FBI? Federal prosecutors?)
Hugo called him "cosmic dust". I have no idea what that could mean but I love it's poetical elan. In Colombia it was porcine symbology. "Friday night , a concert by former Pink Floyd frontman Roger Waters featured a big balloon of a pig that said "Patron Bush, Welcome to your Colombian Ranch." ( remember the Pink Floyd album Big Pink? way ,way back) His right wing client President Uribe is all caught up in death squads and scandals (sound familiar? ) but Bush lied about "doubling" aid to Latin America ( it is currently less than in 2000 and the current budget actually cuts from 1.6 billion to 1.47. ( We spend a billion in Iraq every 72 hours) The new Millenium Challenge program replaced the old IMF grants to "select countries that meet certain standards." (Privitization, dismantling unions, de-funding social programs etc) Under Secretary of State stephan hadley included "remittances" in the aid the US is providing. In other words, the money your maid is sending back to her family in Guatemala is "US aid". My compadre Scott Nicholson is down in Arauca as I write this trying to protect union leaders and those involved in autonomous social movements from being murdered by Uribe's goons funded with US taxdollars. Protecting Oxy Oil and Coca Cola.
Chavez is dogging Bush's every move, with a big rally in Argentina tommorro. Red flags , red shirts, red hats everywhere. Maybe Bush will decide to go to Barcelona next, them San Francisco and perhaps Havana to end the tour.
Labels: stardust

8 Comments:
Bush can't say enough good about Uribe, even after all the death squad stuff. Iraq, Colombia; it appears we are starting up our old habit of supporting death squads, errr, I mean counterterrorist groups.
It's not fun being Bush. Lucky for him, he lacks insight.
Who dreamed up this trip?
I was listening to part of a speech Bush gave the other day while on the Latin America tour. I don't think he believes a word he's saying anymore. I don't think he's a liar, I just think he's way over his head.
He's spouting these platitudes, and you can just hear him thinking to himself, asking himself if he ever really believed in this stuff in the first place. While this doesn't change his role as a useful idiot, I can't help but pity him.
He and his may really doing us favors the more they pretend to go among people. Sometimes the best way to agitate, antagonize, educate, and organize is let the enemy do it for us.
Truly,one mans freedom fighter is another mans contra.
I find myself sympathizing withthe puppet/alchoholic myself sometimes. It is a tragic role from an existential point of view, Shakespearian.
I think Pocho makes a good point about Bush creating his own opposition and counter-point but i also think Chavez is doing a masterful job of rubbing his nose in it.
"Cosmic Dust" refers to Chavez's comments that Bush is done! He is defunct as well as his neoliberal goals! I listened to several of Chavez's speeches online and he really went after Bush. Especially in Argentina and Bolivia.
As far as the "aid" is concerned. The problem lies in the lie that it is "aid" of the kind needed by Latin America. Colombia is receiving almost all of the "aid" in the form of guns, bombs, helicopters, etc. The rest of Latin American is left a few scraps.
Here is an article about the "cosmic dust." Chavez: Bush is Cosmic Dust
I got onto CNN hoping to be surprised by some Chavez coverage, but alas I was not. I can't believe how little they cover. It really is ashame that the BBC covers better articles about the U.S. than CNN does. It isn't even that it was shoddy writing or biased - I just didn't see anything on the Chavez tour.
Post a Comment
<< Home