We, Us, Ours
Thanks to all who slogged through my post I, Me, Mine and fired off such penetrating questions. I was away from the blog but just returned to try to address them all. (check comments) This is especially relevent to the project Chebob and I (and others) are engaged in here in Montana, attempting to bring change to an unsustainable status quo. It is not necessary that we agree on every theoretical point (it aint gonna happen) ,it is necessary that we become comfortable with disagreement and debate.What we DO have to agree upon at the end of the day is a program of some kind, developed through a dialogue and process that we are all inventing as we go. The program must acknowledge the reality of where we are physically, the sparsley populated and vast upper Northwest and where we are politically,forty years into the domination of neo-liberal capitalist hegemony. The reality we must face was expressed by Gopal Balakrishnan when he wrote "the enervation of collective resistance under these conditions seems to signal the advent of an order of things in which praxis itself has become an enigma. Attachment to the status quo, acknowledged or not, is at an historic high point." Despite the Ron Paul "revolution" or the Chevy "revolution" or other such false promises.
So the task is daunting but no less necessary for that. My own enthusiasm, even joy, at engaging(praxis) is not diminished by the steep odds ,but this time around we have less room for error. Che Bob wondered if my enthusiasm for radical democracy did not signal a "full circle"in my analysis but in actuality, my close reading of Marx ( a significant nodal point of my journey) and others in that "lineage" provided an inspiring democratic ideal which has always informed my analysis and which I am now trying to extend. Part of this requires rescuing "liberalism" from Liberals. The democracy I hope to describe is not the Thom Hartman "democracy" or Ron Paul "democracy" (that amalgamation of individual rights and responsibilities, founding fathers, Magna Cartas,sacred constitutions) Using dialectics to go beyond simple materialism ,while still incorporating it into a theory of historical development, is a way to discover the path forward. Rather than a "we" which is defined soley by ones role within the forces of production (class) , a new method for determining social identity would be a "return to the political" and an abandonment of the idea that the "we" could ever be a perfectly unified constituency. Management of society would take place in overlapping public-private spheres (civic-economic) through radically democratic processes extended into economic management.OK so far.
What is missing from all this is how we get from the current hegemonic structure to this new hegemony, the familiar "reform or revolution"question. The current (old) radical approach is to make apparent certain "linkages" between modern struggles (ecological, gender and racial equality, labor rights, peace, etc) to the "dominant" class struggle. This newly awakened consciousness (unity) leads to strikes, boycotts, actions against capital until capital is undermined and loses control over the means of production. Labor assumes control through elimination of the profit system and shared everything, and democratic process eliminates antagonism and insures the new conditions do not begin to replicate the old.
Problems with this scenario to date have stemmed from A. an inability to actually define class, to bring the middle class aboard,or to get them to unite through class identity with more oppressed, socially "alienated"workers.And visa versa. B. Strikes being undermined by scabs or the use of nationalism (declared war) or busted by force, repression. C. Following successful strike and overthrow: counter-revolution, separatist rebellion, foreign invasion or economic down turn requires authoritarian measures to maintain control.(see Bolivia) D. Bureaucracy develops,undermining poorly educated worker "democracy" and establishes new hierarchy. E Castro D. difficulty linking war to imperialism, technology increasing worker productivity and empowerment, corporate media control,and on and on and on.
A "return to the political" (a la Mouffe) is lacking in this programatic sense. It is not the actual territory or a map as such. At a time when the old slogans, "property is theft" or "you have nothing to lose but your chains" are stale and new collective categories are springing up (Bolivarians, Zapatistas, horizontalists) it is a call to reclaim language to help explain them to people who identify themselves in a multiplicity of "subject positions", worker, consumer, ethnic or gender minority, poor, manager,parent,farmer, etc. As Mouffe puts it. "In order that the defense of workers' interests is not pursued at the cost of the rights of women, immigrants or consumers, it is necessary to establish an EQUIVALENCE between these different struggles. It is only under these circumstances that struggles against power become truly democratic." The modern project has been extending the democratic revolution based on such concepts as liberty, justice, and equity as a defense against autocratic power. The language has been hijacked and the project de-railed by conservatives serving capitalism, certainly, but also by trends within liberalism (hyper- rational, moralistic, utopian, individualistic,etc) . Democratic culture will not be an easy thing to revive after decades of neglect and subversion. It will not just happen in the discursive realm and it does not preclude the urgent need for strikes, protest, dissent, art, confrontation, noise, clash, agitation. Political philosophy requires a foundation and Mouffe provides some mortar.

7 Comments:
Trout,
First of all...Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Next, I'm trying to sort through the past few posts to try to get a picture in my head of what you are saying. I must admit I'm kind of confused. I can't tell if you're just saying we need to be more "political" as a society in general terms and we need to rescue democracy (a la Chomsky's point at WSU: "Imminent Crises") as a liberal project from the faux/poser "democracy" from the U.S. political system? Or is there some other way of rescuing democracy and returning to the political? I guess I'm confused because it seems too abstract. What do you mean in more concrete terms?
Do you think that there is a way to keep the U.S. Constitution as is and to radicalize it? If the general public got more "political" in an engaged sense, not a faux debate style created by Hannity/Combs or CNN's Crossfire style, do you think this will rescue democracy from the dominant class? Do we work on making the "representative"/parliamentarian system a workable solution for radically altering the world? What will be done with the rich ruling class and all their wealth? How will we ever supplant them from their ruling positions? Elections? Even the framers of the constitution didn't want that to happen.
Anyway, I did find an area where I agree with you wholeheartedly: "EQUIVALENCE." I agree we need to find a way to link oppression in general between different subject identities. I happen to think that the link is HIERARCHY.
I'm just trying to get a clearer picture.
La lucha sigue...
Companero Chebob,I hope you are having a great time with your amazing family, wish them all the best from all of us.And thanks for engaging me on this.
I had not thought of Chomsky and his perspective on language, and Mouffe ignores that aspect, but yes,just as we seem forced to use quotation marks around such basic terms as political and democracy I think we as an embryonic movement (new for us, new in that we are willing to abandon dogma) should spend some time on these terms. Till we can discuss, I will just throw out a couple of ideas.This was sparked by Both Char and my uncomfortableness with the phrase "the employing class and working class have nothing in common" and all the conceptual positions it implies.The definition of class, the anti-democratic partitioning of such varied identities and the absolute denial of the political,as a way to temporarily suture the "us-them" opposition. If we wanted to model the type of society we envision this seemed problematic.Then along came the Mouffe book which related to lots of my concerns.It may seem overly theoretical(abstract), all academic and no practicality but I am working on ways to apply it.
Both Char and I have both had experience with well meaning socialist groups which started with a defined,accepted notion of
"the good" which required acceptance and resisted questioning or tension of "precarious"positions. This was the path to authoritarianism.
Mouffe does have faith in this liberal democratic path (including the constitution and liberal institutions) to effect deep change through their re-articulation and does not confront the Spectacle or it's hegemony as a force.The methods discussed seem to apply more to a society where capitalism has already been confronted and challenged,much more so than in our current situation.Perhaps it is best seen as a warning about abandoning the revolutionary potential of democracy and it's realization through the political.Seen as a critique,it explains trends in liberalism (which we all aware of)by going to theoretical roots and thus shows a way forward in the abstract.The program is still up to us to figure out.
The stress put on pluralism and away from hyper-individualism is an attempt to remove hierarchy within democracy, to establish equivalence.It is also a warning against universalist concepts of the moral good,and that slippery slope to totalitarianism.
Feliz navidad
For what it's worth, Trout, my boy, Ron Paul, interventionist policies.
The look on Wolf Blitzer's face was pretty good; he couldn't seem to understand how it wasn't in our interest to make sure no bad guys took over their country.
I'm not overly optimistic about the direction our country is headed, but I think Rudy's plummeting poll numbers demonstrate that not all American's are buying into the fear-mongering done by "America's Mayor".
If only we could get those Democrat cowards to do something to stop this war. Of course now that "the surge is working", the Democrats are, as you point out, playing Raul to Bush's Fidel.
Anyway, a late Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Here are at least 12 reasons I disagree with Ron Paul:
Disagreements: (12) Abortion Rights, Embryonic Stem Cells, ANWR Drilling, Kyoto, Assault Weapons Ban, Guns - Background Checks, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Net Neutrality, Minimum Wage Increase, Same-Sex Marriage, and the biggie: Universal Healthcare!
As soon as Paul makes the connection between lack of liberty and forces of capitalism he will have the whole package! Im glad he is challenging conservatives to think, however. Happy New Year to you both and good luck in the wider"world" Wiser.
Sorry for leaving a tag unmatched!
I started a reply to your twelve disagreements, but it ran too long. If you're interested, I put it over at my blog.
As soon as Paul makes the connection between lack of liberty and forces of capitalism he will have the whole package!
That's high praise, coming from you. =)
You need to read a book called The Servile State by Hilaire Belloc. Pronouncing capitalism unstable--now I have your attention--he explains how the methods of fighting it it, social reform, fail and produce, not socialism, but what he calls the servile state.
It's about two hundred pages, so it's a quick read. And he wrote is way back in 1912 or so, which gives it more credence in my mind since it was so prophetic.
Thanks for the wishes! I'm sure I'll still be hanging around the Internet.
Post a Comment
<< Home