Extracting the Truth
There is a quick way to find out if this Sotomayor woman is indeed a "reverse racist" ( Limbaugh) and that would be to have Dick Cheney waterboard her. Perhaps as a television special, with contestants guessing how long she can hold out! The difficulty I am having personally is this. Because I want to take privileges away from rich people ( black, white and other ) does this make me multi-racist ? Equal opportunity racist?
Most people know me as a very patriotic person, I love my country, that is, the ground. I love the property that is America, the people I can take or leave. That which I own, for which I have title, and for which our forefathers fought and died, that I love. So I was a little perturbed when the two women Jehovahs Witnesses showed up on MY LAND yesterday with their message of eternal redemption. "You're tresspassing" I said. "Yes, but we are not tresspassing against you" they replied and showed me why I can ignore "all the terrible headlines in the paper" by simply concentrating on the NEXT life. I considered the fact that I'm not required to wait for them to trespass against me before I act. I could pre-emptively strike. Perhaps waterboard them.This mission they're on,it's like organizing, you knock on peoples doors and talk to them, only you are not struggling against anything REAL. Actually, it's more like salesmanship and you are selling a magical fairy land and escape from reality. Like drug dealing! I think Jesus would be in the headlines daily!
My fishing client last week wasn't really into fishing. He wanted to spend one day driving around (and drinking) following the route of Lewis and Clark from the headwaters of the Missouri up the Jefferson River. The three branches of the Jefferson were named after the wise Founding Fathers virtues, the Wisdom, the Charity and the Philanthropy. These virtues were reserved for white people of course, ( no reverse-racism here) ,that is , white people with property. Indigenous peoples were annihilated, having more to do with capitalist virtues and property. Since my client was into local history, I made a point of stopping off at the graveyard in Butte, America where Wobbly organizer Frank Little is buried. The largest funeral procession in the history of Butte brought him to his final resting place after he was drug from his hotel room by thugs hired by the capitalist bosses,who then tied him to the back of a car and drug him to the trestle where he was hung with a note stuck to his body warning other organizers. The bosses were worried about their property as well, being good, white , patriots.
Meanwhile the dreaded, elected dictator Hugo Chavez ( that's right Sonia, so was Hitler!) has a different take on property relations, evidenced by his taking (nationalizing) five iron and steel plants and putting them under worker control. The country he loves seems to involve the people who do the work and who he believes should be running it. They will be electing management and opening the books, forming councils and participating at all levels. This is not charitable or philanthropic but it is wise. Compare this to Obamas statements about the peoples share of our new car companies: "We don't want to micro-manage these companies". We see which America Obama loves.

9 Comments:
I think 'tooth' extraction is easier than truth extraction. However, let us address some of your issues Troutsky.
Let us start with private property: you certainly must agree that we decimated the indigenous inhabitants of America, and took possession of the lands they once freely roamed.
And you also suggest that Hugo is 'giving' back the businesses to those who work there - a good communist action. And you seem to bless Hugo's action here
How then can you feel so strongly about the the things here that you 'have title to'. Who issued these titles; and what gives them the right to transfer rights to you or me?
I too find myself in a bind; liking the stuff I OWN but regretting it at the same time. The more I have the greater restriction on my freedom. But, I solve it by selling almost all of my posessions periodically; and then seeing what I need back and when, and for what purpose.---very therapeutic!!
kultur
kultur, I should put out a sarcasm alert when I do that.That was a general critique of property relations but I admit that like you, I face daily conundrums over possessions. I did thin out a lot of the "stuff" when I made a move a few years back but communal property and living will take some practice.
as for Hugo, the fact that resources, land , everything has been stolen over and over for millenia makes the whole title issue a little complex as well. He has supported indigenous rights and appropriation of idle land by peasants but we'll have to see what he does when the natives want the land under one of his mines or factories back.
You love the "ground" of America? It's very nice, yes, but is it so different from the ground of other nations at similar latitudes? What is there to love?
The people, "you can take or leave?" Does that mean you like some of them, or where you being generally dismissive? What is a nation without its people? A bunch of ground...
You love your property?! Troutsky, tsk, tsk...The stuff your forefathers fought and died for? Against the Noble Redmen, you mean? My ancestors didn't fight against nobody - does that mean I can't be as patriotic as you?
I think you're having a bad day. Or are you hung over from celebrating the nationalization of GM? Really, I repeat, PARTY ON, socialists!!
Patriotism to a worker, means defending home, family and job. That differs from someone as Dick Cheney or Barack Obama, who see it as defending corporate and neocolonial interests.
Gotcha Trot...
Renegade eye - Patriotism is the death of humankind! Down with patriots!
kultur
I think you're having a bad day. Or are you hung over from celebrating the nationalization of GM?
--------------------------
Oh hardly, didn't go near far enough. I don't think the party starts till there is worker ownership.
Lichanos, after all our exchange you think I love "ground" more than people? I was trying and obviously failing to be faceitious, to mock conservative patriotism.
as for my share of GM, Chrysler and other corporations, this is the perfect opportunity to point out the difference between state capitalism and true worker or social control.I think the fight over single payer health care promotes socialist values far more effectively.
Troutsky:
Sorry I missed your irony. Probably my fault. I though you were just in a lousy mood.
I agree with you about the significance of the healthcare system, totally!
.I think the fight over single payer health care promotes socialist values far more effectively.
BTW, this fits in very well with the strategy pursued by post-war Sweden, i.e., let production remain in private hands, socialize consumption through the welfare state.
Not exactly a stance for a revolutionary...
[See Peter Hall - Cities in Civilization, ch. 27, The Social Democratic Utopia}
Post a Comment
<< Home