Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Turned The Corner

The media has been asked to relay this message but in case you missed it, weren't paying attention, etc..: With the formation of the new Iraqi government there will be decreased conflict. As soon as they come up with a new cabinet things will settle down and that Mission Accomplished flag soon will be flying , the national anthem will be sung in Iraqi (exemption granted), we can relax and start thinking of summer travel plans. whew.That was nearly a debacle.

In Montana the numbers are way up for people using the food banks, despite the statistical growth in the economy. They wouldn't lie to us about all this growth just for political reasons would they? Who is in charge of all these statistics?

It occurs to me how interesting it was sitting in a room full of academic types, scholars, many of whom were historians, discussing revisionism, critical thinking, dominant narratives and national conversations. They generally realized with awe the powerlessness of the academy to counter the propaganda efforts of those in Power, (there was some disagreement over who that was) the uselessness and irrelevance of their beloved discipline. History will show May 1 as the day we "turned the corner" in the Iraq war.

4 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Ché Bob said...

Troutsky,

Right on comrade! I'm smack dab in the middle of understanding how utterly irrelevant my own "discipline" is! Thank god you have the insight and honesty to say that. I am feeling overwhelmed by this entire experience as a graduate student. As things stand, I'm not sure I'll finish my Master's even after investing $30,000. The lack of academic integrity and power trips that accompanies these elitist idiots astounds me. Tell me that I've got some allies out there that want to tear down some irrelevant walls and expose the fraudlence behind them!

Che

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

They wouldn't lie to us about all this growth just for political reasons would they? Who is in charge of all these statistics?

Who says they're lying? Profits are up; it just so happens that purchasing power continues to dwindle. Funny that.

History will show May 1 as the day we "turned the corner" in the Iraq war.

You're assuming we're going to be able to contain the mess we've made. There will be no turning of the corner as, in short order, we'll have to claim defeat--err, victory--and bring the troops home.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Che my friend, your frustration has been evident for a while now and though generalizing about peoples personal experience has many pitfalls I think everyone developing a revolutionary consciousness confronts a basic existentional crisis trying to live in the belly of the beast. I myself am a whore of high standing, grovelling for scraps(tips) dispensed by some of the richest, foulest capitalists driving this madhouse.(my clients) At least for you,your pedagogical "clients" are bright young minds desperately in need of good teachers.My real "work" has to be done on the side, parallel to my trade.Having no academic education per se I avoided the bills but I missed a lot of basic knowledge.
The academics I describe in the piece seem to have a great deal of insight yet they all approach a "wall" which prevents them from carrying their analysis to the next level. They see the how but refuse to see the why.So they substitute scholarly, ironic, detachment and become bourgeois liberals.

As often happens, Eric, my attempts at sarcasm became crappy , vague essaying.The idea of a" scipted history "was a sarcastic reference to the speaker I saw and his reflections on narrative and the whole "turning the corner" thing refers to the latest spin on the war put out by the defense and state depts.I agree the mess will not be contained for some time, Pandoras Box once opened is difficult to close.As for the relationship between economic growth and profits,I lack much backgrounfd in classical economics, but there seems to be some smoke and mirrors here.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

Drat, I thought it might be sarcasm, but the dark humors has a way of evading my not so watchful eye in the form of a written word.

It's frustrating, since sarcasm is so grand, but it rarely translated well on the internet. Perhaps [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags might get the point across, but having to point these things out minimizes the impact. Oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home