Smith River
Beautiful setting, shitty fishing, shitty conversation. As a "team building" exercise I go on a company float trip for five days with the new "partners" of the flyfishing lodge I work for and most of the guides. What it primarily accomplishes is to dramatically emphasize the class differences inherent in such relations. They can't fish , they can't row and all they can talk about is all the shit they own, all the fancy places they go and all the animals they kill.
Out of state millionaires who are "wanna be" flyfishing/outdoorsmen trying to "bro" down is pathetic at best. When they are reactionary, capitalist swine it's all I can do to keep from drowning the bastards. Glad I got that off my chest. If my boss reads this I am totally screwed. What I still find amazing ,after over twenty years working directly with these people (lawyers, developers, venture capitalists, traders, etc) is how abysmally ignorant they are about EVERYTHING. Not that I would expect them to be as brilliant as me. But every opinion is standard, stock, sofomoric, Fox News shallow and they back down at the slightest challenge. Because they are so unused to it. They exist in agreement and much prefer to not have to discuss anything that doesnt have to do with how much wealth and power they have. Bungalo Bills. Gushing about the "natural beauty" while they and their corporate interests and government lackeys do everything in their power to rape and pillage and mutilate it for profit. Remind me not to go on anymore company floats.

2 Comments:
An experience like that just might be enough to make me give up fly fishing out of sheer despair!
Im telling you bud, it's all I can do sometimes.Fortunately my mates are great guys and incredible anglers for whom the sport is still sacred and we can laugh at the bozos. All their money does them not a bit of good.( the trout could care less)
Post a Comment
<< Home