Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Golden Parachutes

I promise to make this the last in my series on the global financial crisis but I can't resist, it's so ...pregnant with possibility! I am fascinated by the quick consensus focusing "blame"on EXECUTIVES. Given their exalted position in bourgeois ideology (the worship of the Executive at the Republican convention was especially breathtaking), we see clearly the schizophrenic American attitude toward authority,(Father) expertise, and trust in "the system". On the one hand they make the perfect sacrificial goats, with their Golden Parachutes , fancy wines, and greedy ways, why, they need to get back to the SMALL TOWN values (urban- rural divide) of "personal responsibility and accountability". On the other hand, who doesn't love the swashbuckling, risk taking GAMBLER, so free and courageous and full of life! The rich are not like everyone else and while we all hate them we all want to be them.

Actually,despite the dominant narrative, none of this crisis has anything to do with "rich people" . People are just a representation of capital but they are a convenient diversion and explanation for how things went wrong and after the sacrifices we can get back to "business as usual". Which is control.

In terms of social and political fallout, I have been warning about a Right turn and on Rens blog warned of a TREND towards fascism. It occurs to me we may need a new word, as well as analysis of the forces at play. In the early 1930s "The great mass of shopkeepers and white collar employees had hitherto followed the traditional bourgeois parties and had seen themselves as upholders of parlimentary democracy. They now deserted these parties and followed Hitler.."
At the same time the Bolshevicks and Russian proletariat were abandoning their revolution and throwing their support to a vicious, autocratic dictator and his bureacrats. Americans rallied behind the Ku Kux Klan. My point is, things can get ugly fast when a solid, comfortable, reality seems to be slipping away and Lou Dobbs and the 9/11 Truth folks and the Pentecostals and Constitution Party are going to be doing a booming business. What is the word I am looking for ? How to describe a slightly liberal State-Corporate Alliance with a well armed police force ready to "maintain order"internally( the enemy within) with a populace kept in perpetual fear of the Enemy Out There.

"I enjoy the spectacle, every scene of which I understand." Proudhon

5 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I don't see any trend toward fascism.

I believe the groups of the right as 9/11 people, Ron Paul, Libertarian etc. will grow. They will never be any power.

The trend is to the politics of Bush41. America lost in Iraq, and will need the help of Iran and Syria to disengage.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Yodood said...

"The rich are not like everyone else and while we all hate them we all want to be them."

If you really believe this statement, it explains a lot about why I never quite understand you. If you are being ironic, you are missing a great thread on the hypocrisy of people who join unions who don't have an altruistic bone in their bodies and destroy any solidarity of purpose they are designed to represent.

I also don't know why you still take the trouble to bad mouth the 9/11 conspiracy folks unless it is jealousy over their being on to Bush's duplicitous agenda before the more obvious war on terror as a cover for oil possession. The administration's part in 9/11 goes so far beyond incompetence, they are glad that's all folks suspect.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Naomi Klien is applying her "Shock Doctrine" analysis to the current "coup" attempt.There is a good debate going on at leninology.blogspot.com with lenin taking your position, Ren.I have been listening to right wing talk radio the last couple of days which may explain my anxiety.

Greg, As a Wobbly I am fully aware of the foibles of bureaucratic unionism. The 9/11 Truth folks frighten me with their demagogueish approach to individual villians, evil corrupters,etc while ignoring structural causes of injustice. They pre-empt political change in favor of a "cleansing". Was Bush trying to save Lehmann Bros. by blowing up the towers? Didn't work.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger sonia said...

Troutsky,

At the same time the Bolshevicks and Russian proletariat were abandoning their revolution and throwing their support to a vicious, autocratic dictator and his bureacrats.

That's very naive.

It would be more accurate to say that a mob of thieves began to circle the wagoons to prevent the next generation of thieves from stealing their loot.

The idea of a permanent revolution looks REALLY bad if you happen to be the Soviet Commisar in charge at that precise moment...

Ren,

America lost in Iraq

Stop making a fool of yourself. Read a newspaper. Any paper. Even a Chinese one...

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Sorry Sonia, I don't understand the analogy, are the proletariat the thieves? Stalin? Who are the "wagons"?

The war helped cause the credit bubble to burst, so America lost, all Americans lose in the same sense the Soviets lost in Afghanistan.See : National Debt, trade imbalance, personal debt, etc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home