Monday, December 15, 2008

Computer Hell Isn't Really That Bad

I am technologically challenged, that is, I don't invest a lot of energy in trying to keep up and the logic or language do not come "naturally" to me. So it has been a particularly frustrating couple of days fighting with a virus on my PC (and losing) at the same time I have been trying to upgrade to DSL through my phone company. As to the virus, what makes a human want to do this to others? It calls itself "anti-virus 360" and so deviously plays on ones fear of infection. Fortunately, my companero Che Bob ( who by the way is back blogging after a short hiatus) gave me his old laptop which I now have running at "high speed"but I am unable to work on my novel. And its about 30 below outside. Enough of my problems. Life is for learning and going where we are not comfortable.

The Arab world has a new hero in the form of a shoe throwing journalist, although i think "murderous dog" was a bit generous. Bush joked that he "saw his sole", perhaps a reference to Putin, and I heard a reporter on the Today show (fair and balanced) actually say that "the crowd was shocked and awed". It's a movie you can't stop watching!

Getting back to the cold weather, I spent a lot of last Thursday in the Missoula public library and a lot of yesterday in the mall while my wife and daughter shopped.(I bought a shirt but mostly watched consumer world in frenzied motion) What I noticed in both public spaces was the homeless people getting in out of the weather. In the library a succession of rough characters sat around me coughing and hacking and trying to get some rest. In the mall a couple of guys sat across from where I was reading-watching and went over the Greyhound bus schedule. I heard them talking about how it was time to move on (no doubt south) and I wondered about their life. I used to knock around quite a bit when I was young but I always had a warm place I could return to when things got rough.I was a vagabond out for adventure, just a tourist compared to these hard veterans of the bus stations and underpasses. In these hard times there will be a growing army heading south where I suspect there are few prospects for work or a functioning welfare system. Shelters and soup kitchens. Hard times.

5 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger sonia said...

I am amazed none of you guys (Ren, Graeme or you) have posted about Greece. There's an authentic revolutionary situation and you guys are asleep at the switch...

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger sonia said...

Apologies. At least you posted TWO PHRASES about it two posts back.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Sonia: You are right.

Actually it's not a revolution. It's a showing of outrage by the youth, with little help from the political parties.

The problem is that there is not much in political demands.

The funny part to me is Papandreou is the establishment. I remember him when he was in exile in Minnesota from the junta.

Troutsky: Buy a Mac. They don't get viruses.

The shoe tactic was too individualist and martyrish for me.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Hard times indeed. The local food pantry is having a real tough time keeping stocked.

Supermarkets are strapped and are initiating tighter inventory procedures and dropping the amount the contribute.

I try to be optimistic about Obama, but his recent Agriculture Sect. pick means more for ethanol and less about feeding people.

Why don't they just make the ethanol out of kudzo?

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger troutsky said...

Sonia,I need to do some research, all I see is anti-politics of Black Bloc and a lot of posturing. So much talk about the angst of the youth because there are no jobs but wouldn't factory occupation be better tactic than burning shit?

I think I could sell Bush Shoe Targets for people around the world.Then I could start an investment fund and bilk people out of millions.I'm wasting my time as a Marxist.

Ducky, my poor OBamaniac wife is sinking lower and lower in her chair. I have been able to resist saying I told you so but how much longer I can hold out is questionable.Does bio-fuel need sugar?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home