Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Tragedy or Farce

History repeats itself as a tragic farce I suppose. I dreamed I saw Joe Mc Carthy last night , alive as you or me... but it was just Glen Beck casually calling all pinkos trators. I'm sure if I dialed in Rush right now I woud hear the same message. The media is reporting, with oh such serious concern, reports of "race baiting" but I have as yet failed to hear any condemnation of the blatant, 24 hour RED BAITING . Next we can expect a reality show with Glen and Van Jones chasing each other through the Jungle with paint ball guns, perhaps some cameo appearances with Nancy Pelosi and Sarah Palin mud wrestling! As Debord said, a State with no historical memory cannot be led strategically and that is certainly obvious to everyone, no matter your ideological position. I mean Afgahnistan? Really? California will just let the inmates go? Go where? They will just threaten the Insurance companies with a "trigger"? Farce or tragedy?

But the climate of fear and cruelty is no joke. The British National Party has an openly racist agenda, they cannot keep ammo in stock here where I live, there are cameras everywhere, Pittsburgh is militarized in anticipation of the G20, John Birch and Richard Nixon grin triumphantly from the grave. Homeless people fighting to the death for the "free market and bonuses of Wall Street Securitizers, dying widows on Medicaid railing against government programs, folks whose kids are waiting for liver transplants defending the right of Insurance Corporations to make as much profit as they can.

It's all about tension and equilibrium. We are all "conservative" to the degree we understand that any disruption in the equilibrium, even the percieved equilibrium, can cause forces to swing wildly in unforseeable directions. Like planets losing their orbits. And so I understand the "slippery slope" argument and the reaction to any proposal for radical change.We have all waken from the nightmare where the brooms keep bringing the buckets of water and like panicked Mickey Mouses we can only appeal to some higher power ( or cartoonist) but guess what. Pandoras Box is already opened, the nightmare is already much of the worlds current reality and the wild ocsillating is well underway. Equilibrium can only come from people taking control of their own destinies and remembering what it is like to have SOME measure of dignity.

6 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

The town hall meetings, reflect more than what is obvious.

I think we'll see radicalism in some form, when some good news comes from the economy. Recession causes timidity, due to fear of job loss.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger sandykrolick, ph.d., editor FIBP said...

I disagree Red Eye; I think if things improve, everyone will smile again and tell you how wonderful life is...

Trot - sounds like a recipe for real anarchy, if people would only realize that taking 'control' is really a function of dethroning those arbitrarily elected and controlling, and decide that their needs to be more local directing and guidance of affairs.

I do agree that this place is like a ticking time bomb; and the republicans are doing all they can to help move the hands on the clock to D-day. The conservatives of the country will serve as an accidental launching pad for an American revolution like they never imagined, including armed citizens fighting in the streets and seccesion of diverse constituencies.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Ren, I'm not even sure we have a reality based quantifier for "good news from the economy". What metric could we trust? Productivity gains being wrung out of exhausted workers, stock portfolios or real estate prices going up in "value", consumer confidence in new marketing schemes? I agree with kultur that dissatisfaction presents more organizing possibilities.

kultur, the problem with "local control" is the this: every school in our county declined showing Obamas speech . There is a "seminar" at the church across the road on "666, the Antichrist and the Mark of the Beast" next week! ( I will be reporting)
Any sort of pluralist, cosmopolitan values can only come from a wide exposure to ideas, don't you think? I do agree that size matters but I'm not sure how to think about it. Are you back in the states?

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

There is no mechanical answer, to know when things are better. We do know consciousness follows events.

I doubt Glen Beck believes what he says. He might be making a good living, but he's playing with fire.

Kulture: The great depression started in 1929. The big strike wave came in 1934.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Whether he believes it or not, ren, isn't relevant.

The far right has managed to get people incensed over the idea of less expensive health insurance. They became positively irrational.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes you have Timmy "Taxes" Geithner and Larry "the Whale" Summers making sure plenty of free chips are being supplied to the Wall Street casino tables.

So everyone gets a temporary 401K boost, they don't have to spend any tax money on insurance for lazy bums and it's back to business as usual until business gives them the usual business.

They don't learn.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger sandykrolick, ph.d., editor FIBP said...

Ducky may be right on this!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home