Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nostalgia

I was missing Donald Rumsfeld till Joe Lieberman showed up, promising to scuttle Obamas health reform. Et tu Judas? Could one invent any greater example of what a cesspool "representative" politics has become? Oh..um...Ollie North is now advising the Republican Party on Afghanistan policy? No wait..thats real. Beakerkin must have been too busy with all his Venezuelan refugees. Farce ,tragedy, who gives a rats ass? Is Jumpin Joe ready to be Mitt Romneys VP in 012? Rudy waitin in the wings?

I also miss Condi Rice. Where do these people go? I know Tom Delay is Dancing With the Stars. I wonder if Bill and Bob Gates are related? I turned on "Public Television" which is now supported by Chevron, Monsanto, Wells Fargo, Toyota, Boeing, Met Life and others. I'd prefer sitting through an hour of chop-o-matic and hair removal ads than the slick, fuzzy, we're-helping-to-save-the-earth bullshit of mega corporations. Where is Larry Craig? James Baker , George Shultz?

"The ethos of consumption and individual autonomy, privileging the here and now over the eternal, will conquer the Muslim world as surely as it is conquering East Asia and as surely as it has already conquered what was once known as Christendom. It's the wreckage left in the wake of that conquest that demands our attention."

Andrew J.Bacevich The War we Can't Win

I had a little go-around with Bacevich after a presentation he gave on "the social forces shaping US policy from WWI to the present" failed to include any mention of labor or the left or any tension with capital at any period. His narrative was strictly John Foster Dulles, George Kennan, Art Schlesinger, Henry Kissinger and the Great Game and nothing about how "anti-communism" was used as a force for social control and co-opting labor. But he was clearly aware of the folly of Iraq and unafraid to express it back when it was an unpopular position for "mainstream" academics. His son was killed there.

Now, I realize his "attention" to the "wreckage" is not what my attention looks like but he is once again boldly staking out a courageous and eminently sane stance on Obamas "good war". Then there is Obamas stance on the Goldstone Report, his stance on climate change as expressed in Bangkok, his stance on reparations at the UN conference on racism in Geneva, The G20 position, etc etc.. I prefered Bush's upfront imperialism and exploitation to this backhanded crap.

11 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Obama is as unaccomplished as Bush.

No administration including Bush's, are as entrenched in finance capital, as Obama's.

He also has been about Honduras.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger sandykrolick, ph.d., editor FIBP said...

True, Obama is more adept at shadow-play than Bush was. But, the critics are no less steadfast. Indeed, even the center-left is suddenly standing up and saying.. 'wait asshole' that is not what you told us last Fall!

But, I think Obama plays well into the hands of real social-political change agents. After all he gets everyone so upset, it can only lead to very large scale protests, perhaps even with armed resistance by the looneys on either side or political succesion.

He is creating an atmosphere of distain and distruct across the spectrum of the American populace.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Kultur

You are addressing text book cases of lunacy. Death cultist are beneath the pale of functional politics.

Troutsky

I am very busy dealing with Venezuelan refugees. They all seem to be telling identical lies. The stories include kidnappings by thugs aligned with Chavez. The victims frequently are Jews, but the Cafeteria Commisar pretends they all tell identical lies.

Things might be bad, but I have no difficulties finding produce. Crime rates are way up in the faux workers paradise.

However, the question remains has the HOV group members received money or met with foreign intelligence. This would make these individuals foreign agents.
Communists have a lengthy history of lies in this area.

Those that advocate Marxism for others need to live under it. Lets see Ren and Che Bob renounce their citizenship to live with Chavez. If not lets hear the litany of excuses.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

I also miss Condi Rice.

----------------------------

To each his own but I happen to know that she's a clerk in a Payless Shoe Outlet in a local mall facing foreclosure and she's trying to organize for an extension of insurance benefits.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Troutsky, just mention Giuliani and Beak will visit.

It's like bread crumbs to a pigeon.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

I'd prefer sitting through an hour of chop-o-matic and hair removal ads than the slick, fuzzy, we're-helping-to-save-the-earth bullshit of mega corporations.

------------------------

I figured you for a guy who could appreciate the Zen of the "Sham-wow", troutsky.

But in defense of PBS, they do hit it on the screws occasionally.
The recent look at the "financial crisis" on Frontline managed to get CB pretty stirred up.
Had anyone ever heard of Brooksley Born before that show? Very few but they showed how the crew managed to shut her up.

I scratch my head and wonder what has to happen for people to understand that allowing Goldman Sachs to set up a three card monte stand is not in their best interests. Or rather why we can't act on what we know.
Larry Summers is still calling the shots. Hell, these guys are so in the bag that they've even frozen out Paul Volker who is at least calling for basic reform.

"We were bought and sold,
for Wall Street gold.
Such a parcel of rogues
in a Nation."

But now the fault is ours. We know these guys will steal us blind and the have wonderful legislators like Joe Lieberman running interference for them but we have lost our democracy and still we have the stalwart 30% screaming about "our freedoms" and carrying Palin signs.

Obama isn't going to do jack s**t about economic reform. Maybe Afghanistan will force him to break with his conservative handlers.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Market rally today. Profits and GDP up, jobs down.
Well la di frickin' da. I'm waiting for Obama (R - Bank of America) to get up and tell us how it would have been a little worse if he hadn't been elected.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Ducky: If you listened carefully, Obama didn't break any campaign promises. He got heat about Pakistan at the time, but his policy is coming to fruition.

I'd prefer sitting through an hour of chop-o-matic and hair removal ads than the slick, fuzzy, we're-helping-to-save-the-earth bullshit of mega corporations.

There is no national solution period. The US can do everything green, and the problems persist. Earth problems have no borders.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Duncy

Guiliani would have done far better than Obama. Unlike Obama he knows how to get results.

Lets see compare what Charlie "the red" Rangel has done with Kerik. How about ethnocide of Indians and child rape by Daniel Ortega. How about aid to narco terrorists by Hugo "crack pipe" Chavez?

As a commie you have zero morality, logic or coherent response to facts. Unlike Kultur, I do not indulge political criminals.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

Good to see you've discovered Andrew J.Bacevich. He writes for The American Conservative, which is much better than you might fear.

I'm also amazed at the respect thoroughly discredited figures receive. It's one thing to nod to Bush since he was President--respect for the office and all; not that I agree with it, only it's marginally acceptable. But Cheney lecturing us about what to do in the countries he helped wreck! Oy vey! (That's for Beak.)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

kultur "It can only lead to large scale protests..." history would suggest it but all I hear is a deafening silence.

Ducky, PBS does some good things but do they really expect me to put in my ten bucks knowing these players will fund it?

Ren, if the U.S. took a radical departure at Copenhagen it would make a difference but I'm not holding my breath.

Wiser Bacevich is an interesting character, a "realist" that people listen to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home