Another Brush
I have had my share of close calls and seen some bad things go down in my fifty six years. The list just got longer. Yesterday my guiding partner flipped his raft on the river we were fishing and one of his clients drowned. I came in behind just a little too late. We searched in vain but had to leave because others were hypo-thermic and in shock. They found the body late today. Western rivers are swelled with snowmelt and rain right now and are treacherous. Each move with the oars must be calculated but a certain amount of luck is also needed. Jims ran out. I hope my friend and colleague can work through the trauma and pain and continue doing what he loves. I just have to wonder what might have been had I made a more efficient search, arrived sooner, stayed closer.
I am not a thrill-seeker. I don't need a lot of adrenaline at this point. But there is inherent risk to every activity and I do find the challenge of nature, running rivers, skiing steep slopes, mountaineering,etc.. rewarding. Next week I will have to jump in with increased respect at the power and quickness.
RIP Jim Dewhurst, angler.

5 Comments:
It must be difficult; I am sorry for all concerned
Sorry to hear this.
Damn trout, be careful out there.
Don't blame yourself.
As they say shit happens.
Constantly ,Beak. Thanks y'all.I'm moving on, floating tomorrow.
Post a Comment
<< Home