Monday, October 27, 2014

The Games People Play

I'm sure this subject has been thoroughly worked over by culture critics of every political persuasion, but I gotta ask, as an old fogey with no experience or expertise, what's up with gaming? Again, I am exploring this subject as someone who has never played a digital game in his life, no Pac-Man, no Kong, no Mario Bros, no nothing. And I'm no psychologist or neuro-biologist or doctor. But I am a grandfather and I already see signs of game addiction in my four year old grandson, with a two year old granddaughter not far behind. The tablet, loaded with numerous, simple games, has a magnetic, even magical draw. I'm not talking Grand Theft Auto or Doom (yet), just basic games where numerous little "attackers" have to be disposed of before they capture some prize. An elaborate point system allows you to make certain weapon selections so you explode or be-head or otherwise indispose these little icons. But the fascination for the four year old is total,there is complete immersion and concentration to the point he has entered this other world and beware anyone who disturbs it! He talks and thinks about the activity constantly, unless he is watching a movie or otherwise engaged with a screen. All other activities are only acceded to in order to buy screen time, to engage in combat, and win. Just a harmless, normal phase of child development? Apocalyptic brain washing? Digital kidnapping? There are whole cults of gamers in the headlines, raging misogynists, violent shooters, de-programming experts and support groups. Billion dollar industry, ideological apparatuses, strained eyeballs,jeez, are we having fun yet?

6 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

A advocate of a criminal pathology that has killed millions is worried about video games. I will take my chances with the Columbine kids over Marxist morons any day of the week.

Jim Jones should be your role model. Practice class genocide on yourself first.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Thanks.

 
At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Vietnam visa in Afghanistan said...

Have fun over there!

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a differerent world. All you can do is insist that when the kid is talking to you, he talks to you! They can put the thing away for a minute or two.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like the way you express something. The points that you submit a short but descriptive.

cara mengobati tbc tulang
Tips Alami Untuk Menghilangkan Keloid
Pengobatan Polip Usus Besar

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Bali Driver said...

You have well written post, I search through the search engine and found your blog. You have good skill of writing, sure I will keep stay tune with your next post. Visit my travel blog : Bali Driver and Bali Tour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home