Harp, Harp, Harp
This is a common theme of mine but I will harp yet again, its my blog. What is the best way to neutralize activists? Overwhelm them. Sunday night was a local meeting of the Human Rights Alliance. They have several issues on their plate, child and spouse abuse in the polygamist community north of here ( you don’t have a polygamist community near you?) , the local city councilor who was ousted in a right wing coup de etat, homeless and hungry people, attack of the religious right on gay issues etc..the list goes on. I ran into a comrade there who would like some help getting military recruiters away from kids who are not interested in our public schools. Monday night its on to meet with a group forming to stop the development of Big –Box stores in our community, primarily Wal Mart. Sounds simple enough. Tonight ,Tuesday, its into town for a meeting on ways to end the exclusive Coca Cola contract at our university until Coke rectifies human rights abuses. We’ve tried petitions, demonstrations, letters but need new ideas.Im thinking hunger strike. Wednesday another trip into Missoula for some discussion on how to raise awareness about movements for change in Latin America, Thursday a meeting of Trout Unlimited on how to have unlimited trout (utopian but beautiful) and Friday possibly another committee meeting where we will choose some local issue that is short term and “winnable”. My choice is the minimum wage hike but I don’t see much support. Saturday I will end all war and on the seventh day I will rest.
You might say,what neutralize, it sounds like you are tackling lots of issues. The point is, this is but a partial list, a random sample, and there are a hundred more where those came from ,just waiting in the wings. All symptoms of the same disease. We treat the fever but leave the infection. Unfortunatly, putting out all these brushfires, to change metaphores, leaves us exhausted, broke, dispirited. Burned out. Nuetralized.( not me yet, but many others)
I suggested at last nights meeting that for a direct action to be meaningful or effective, there had to be a moral equivalance between the injustice we were protesting, in this case the murder of labor rights leaders, and the action being proposed. I thought we needed an action with consequences such as civil disobedience or hunger strike, some disruption. It didnt seem to go over real well. MLK and others showed that people will be shamed and motivated to action by a display of committment, many were beat and jailed. some were killed.They didnt sign petitions or write their congressman or smash windows.
"the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice" MLK

6 Comments:
Though we disagree on many things--minimum wage being just one of them--I think you're right about MLK.
I got into a spirited argument with my mom about abortion. She's slowly understanding that the Republicans aren't going to do anything about it, and being young and idealistic, I told her we needed to start doing something.
I suggested that a bunch of us get arrested by trespassing at Planned Parenthoods across the land. She thought that wouldn't go over well in the media, which is true. At the same time, it's not as if sitting by patiently being good little Christians is doing anything either. So what if we're construed as extremists. We are, aren't we?
I can only imagine how frustrated you must be often times. Keep up the fight good sir, I admire your passion.
"Rather be forgotten than remembered for given in." - Refused
The world needs more rabble rousers.I know you are trying to get an education but during break you should try a little civil disobedience, non-violent of course. With your intent and intelligence I expect you would inspire others.Meanwhile, forward thinking entrepenuers should start thinking about setting up back-alley abortion clinics. I see a huge opportunity in the not-so- distant future.Perhaps do-it- yourself kits?
I disagree that the idea of civil disobedience didn't go over very well. I was receptive to the idea. I know some others were too. I think there are two camps of thinking when it comes to that sort of action.
1.) Use that "extreme" action to get the attention of others.
2.) build up popular knowledge on the issue then take action after you have the support of the masses.
The truth is that for every person that knows about Coke's abuses 30 others don't. What made MLK's efforts so successful is that the rallying was based around something that hit home hard in every black man, woman, and child in the country. The idea of people being killed by Coca-Cola in other countries is abstract for many people, it is not like they can see the obvious oppression by Coke all around them. For me this is a massive education campaign. The best way to do that? Pick a number.
To quote my main man GKC, "The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
There is so much injustice it's hard to pick out a war to wage. A lot of us are paralzyed into inaction by the opportunity cost of any action at all. I'm not making apologies for my own rather paltry attempt at war, but it does seem a bit futile at times.
I guess it goes without saying we could use another MLK.
It just seems to me one basic reason we cannot garner support is we don't display the outrage which should coincide with the injustice we KNOW is being perpetrated,therefore people assume our claims are overblown or distorted.On another level, it is not even about getting attention but about re-claiming our own power and being true to ourselves.When I think about people like the Berrigans who have spent so much time in jail( and I don't pretend to have that courage or commitment)and don't worry about the EFFECT of their actions...You are right about education, John,it is a long term project to build a movement but there is momentum now and it feels like time to strike.
I agree. I really think this could be the semester we do get Coke off campus.
Post a Comment
<< Home