Half and Half
At the First Annual Buddhist Film Festival ( Missoula is an amazing place) we were treated last night to a documentary featuring the Dali Lhama speaking to a gathering in Sun Valley Idaho (2005). When asked his views on political-economy he said he was half Buddhist , half Marxist, and laughed that funny little laugh. He said socialism is the only compassionate way to organize a society. His english is not bad but he is limited to fairly simple concepts and platitudes. Apparently when he speaks in Tibetan you realize more fully his Mastership.
Someone who takes erudition to an incredible level is Jorge Luis Borges, whose non-fiction I am attempting to wade through.His elegant and informed prose makes me hesitant to even attempt my own incoherant ramblings. How could he have read, and comprehended, so much?
I need to add to my favorite films list this gem that came to me out of the blue yesterday, A Thousand Clowns with Jason Robards. He would answer the phone with this useful question: "Hello, are you delivering good news or money?"
"It's a Show ,you know. Not Always Entertaining but a Show Even So" Someone wise suggested that the sarcastic tone is the preferred weapon of the weak essayist. I slip into that mode all to often because I seem more and more often to be required to respond to absurdity. Bush's faux populism (we will get the Energy Gougers) while decrying populism in others. ( Chavez, Morales) Our local populace decrying Big Government as our Senators vie to see who can secure the most pork, on and on, so it goes. "We'd like to learn a little bit about you for our files, we'd like to help you learn to help yourself" Simon and Garfunkel. You must read Guy Debords Society of the Spectacle. I am reading Hannah Arendt, Borges and trying to tie some salmon flies. And they called yesterday to say my book came in, Afflicted Powers ; The State ,Spectacle and September 11 by the Bay Areas Situationist Collective. This should answer all our questions. (more sarcasm)

2 Comments:
I found this blog surfing.
I like how you were able to connect Buddhists, Situationists, cinema and fishing, in one post.
Welcome, renegade, when I call it thoughtstreaming I am not kidding.Others might call it ADD.
Post a Comment
<< Home