Friday, August 22, 2008

More Magic

In my continuing exploration of how we are separated from an authentic life I turn next to Theodore Adorno. Preceding Debords work by fifteen years, Minima Moralia was an attempt to explain alienation after the horror of world war. He begins the dedication with these relevent reflections:
"What the philosophers once knew as life has become the sphere of private existence and now of mere consumption, dragged along as an appendage of material production, without autonomy or substance of it's own."

Though it pre-dates the post-industrial "Information Age" spectacles that so horrified Debord, it foreshadows his critique and points accusingly at many of the same culprits.

"Reduced and degraded essence tenaciously resists the magic that transforms it into a facade."

While Adorno uses the term "magic", he actually explores the nature of the process in extremely objective terms. In terms of style, it is written in short , numbered essays, not unlike Society of the Spectacle and we are left with intrigueing little aphorisms which he describes as "points of attack" or "models for a future exertion of thought". In this, and in his use of the word "resist", he allows room for hope, which Debords totalitarian vision seems almost to renounce. It can at times seem that at least some of the overwhelming forces arrayed against authentic human existence are somehow supernatural but as I tried to explain in the last post, this too needs to be resisted, de-constructed, rationalized (without succumbing to rationalism). The whole (plugged in ) world sat on it's couches the last couple of weeks and watched the Olympics. One World , One Dream. We had a million messages inserted into our collective consciousness, none of it random. Some could observe the process and comment on it. Some have no idea there is a design to all of this. These types of cultural critiques help us to understand why. They do indeed present "points of attack"!

A great attack by Lewis Lapham in the new Harpers on the Spectacle that was The Death of Tim Russert. Rejecting the dominant bathos, he does what Russert never did, speaks truth to power. Russert was "an attentive and accomodating head waiter" and Lapham asks , "Why a requiem for a pet canary?"

8 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Russert made no significant contribution to journalism.

His punditry trick was, the louder you asked a question, the more important it should seem.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Journalism as a fourth estate with a role of checking power is in it's death throes. Another victory of capital over democracy, although I still think (optimist that I am) it is a battle and not the war.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

that Lapham piece was great. Harpers is the only relatively mainstream magazine I subscribe.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

He is as consistently right on as anyone, in my opinion.I just found a good quote by Gramsci on such optimism. One needs "pessimism of the intellect,optimism of the will." I still read the Nation to study liberal equivocation and compromise.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that someone has tried to puncture the hot air balloon about Russert. If Brokaw kicks off (I'm not wishing it on him, mind you) we'll hear that he was part of the Greatest Generation of journalists...

I'm going to read that Lapham piece, but having been a subscriber to Harper's for years, I came to the conclusion that Lapham's critiques are often motivated by the fact that HE is not in Russert's place, the spotlight of adulation, that is. Underneath his rapier witticisms there lurks the idea, I suspect, that if everyone would just listen to HIM...all would be fine. And of course, if his invitations to those ghastly Georgetown cocktail parties that he MUST attend though it gives him a stomach ache stopped coming in, he'd be deprived of half his material.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

I get that from Lapham too. But i love his writings. he has a sense of history that I think is genuine. i even subscribe to ridiculously priced "lampham's quarterly."

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Graeme, you'll have to do a review of the Quarterly, Iv'e been so tempted to lay out the cash but it seemed to concentrate in ancient history. (not that there is anything wrong with that...)

Iv'e never detected envy in his "voice" but it can get a little Tom Wolfey.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lapham is from a very patrician family. You cannot deny your heritage. He writes what he knows...I just need take him in small does, that's all.

I saw his Quarterly for the first time today. The issue was all about nature. Very nicely produced. I guess each one has a different theme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home