Biding Time
While I'm waiting for this new government of, by and for the People to start some New Conservative governing, I'm going to keep improving my mind. That way I'll be ready to respond if I'm asked for any New theoretical constructions that might be apropos for The Great Disintegration.
To that end I have returned from another pilgrimage to the Purple Room at Powells in Portland ( say that three times fast) with a fine stack. I splurged for a new hardback copy of Yitzhak Laor's newest title (Verso) The Myths of Liberal Zionism. Yet another great recommendation from Beak, thank's buddy.It's a perfectly radical critique of the Liberal Peace Intellectuals such as David Grossman ( check out the recent profile in The New Yorker), Amos Oz, Bernard -Henri Levy,Yeshoua, Yovel, Lanzmann and Co., holding nothing back and reminding me precisely of the tactics leftist intellectuals used to justify the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.Biting.
Another intriguing text (related to this novel I'm working on) is Martin Heideggers The Question Concerning Technology. One of the hypotheses in my book is that technology is one signifier for both the global disparity in wealth and power and "localized" disparity within societies. And as such, the source of much conflict. ( knowledge= power) We'll see what Martin has to say.
I also found copies of One Dimensional Man by Marcuse which I read when I was too young and The Wretched of the Earth by Fannon which I never had the chance to. Last but I hope not least is something called Ideologies:Politics in Action edited by Max Skidmore which looks to be helpful in defining left- right positions along a continuum.
Something I ordered from ZNet is a DVD of Michael Albert and John Holloway Debating the Post-Capitalist Future. Over and over I hear people say "yes, but there is no alternative" and these two thinkers are not afraid to do some sketches for us.
On the way back I heard Chris Hedges being interviewed on Public Radio about his new book. Whoever was asking the questions kept saying "yes, but wasn't Marxism an utter failure?", forcing Hedges to accept the old Marxism= Stalin= totalitarianism trope and stammer on about "corporate capitalism". Again his critique was great, mentioned the spectacle, eco-system failure, etc.. but he falls back on the New Deal and democratic market socialism. Still, for Public Radio in the middle of Washington...
I didn't manage to hook any fish but I found some great new water that will pay off eventually and spent a beautiful fall day hoping. A metaphor ? I am curious, what are others reading while waiting for Godot?

18 Comments:
I was interested in the Nation's book review section recently. A number of books on the cultural changes in the 70's were highlighted.
Jefferson Cowie - Stayin' Alive: The 1970's and the Last Days of the Working Class
Andreas Hillen - 1973 Nervous Breakdown:Watergate,Warhol and the Birth of Post-Sixties America
The first is an attempt to answer Daniel Bell's question of why the workig class votes against it's own interest. Haven't got to it yet.
The second is a very good analysis of the commodification of culture in the 70's. Comes down hard on George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.
Waiting for Godard.
"The first is an attempt to answer Daniel Bell's question of why the workig class votes against it's own interest. Haven't got to it yet."
Let me save you the trouble, there's no need in plowing through a book to know the answer to that.
They don't.
Pagan: People are jumping back and forth between parties like never before. The differences are blurred. Very unstable and promising situation. The room for a party maneuver are shrinking.
Troutsky: The Parecon people support Chavez's call for the Fifth Int'l.
Pagan
You are talking to crazed fundamentalist lunatics who are not capable of rational thought. The notion that people can think for themselves or that their ass backward
mendicant philosopher of a death cult are wrong just don't compute.
Talking facts with imbeciles and bird brained loons doesn't compute. The best of these clowns is Kultur who at least brings something new to the mix and will reluctantly admit Communists have killed plenty.
Talking facts with Kultur is also difficult. Any discussion of super
violent HG types that are more civilized than Hugo, Ren or any other commie dullard goes over his head.
Following Kultur's thesis since HG types were less violent ( not true unless one is a commie) and Apes are less violent than humans we are improved if humans become apes. Now the world is a safer place if criminals like Ren and Che Bob are playing Tarzan instead of Commissar.
When and where are the commies going to pack up and join Hugo?
Ducky: I think that period of hippies and Teamsters fighting war protesters tells us a lot about the shape the left now finds itself in.
As for "voting your interests", I'm sceptical it is even possible if we broaden "interests" to include more than cost-of-living increases. I think workers trade power for benefit packages sometimes. Now it is coming back to haunt them.
On the other hand Pagan, if you think workers have seen gains through "politics" you are looking at some metric I'm unaware of.
Ren: This debate between Albert and Holloway takes place in Caracas and there are some interesting critiques of the Bolivarian revolution from both.
ZNet did a survey to see if folks supported a Fifth Int.that was non-hierarchical, non bureaucratic.
Becoming Animal: An Earthly Cosmology, David Abram
Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality, Christopher Ryan
Just waiting!!
OK Beak.. I gave you a great opening. Now jump in!!
Yes trout, labor has only been united very early in its history in America. If they had supported Harry Truman in his advocacy of a single payer system, things might be different today.
I'm surprised Beak didn't go after you for putting Fanon on your reading list, trout. He's one of Beak's favorite targets.
Kultur, are those anthropology texts? Beak is especially critical of anthropology on his blog today. He wants it eliminated, along with most majors, from American universities.
Duncy
Austerity is the new norm. The days that Americans could subsidize useless degrees are over. An accounting major is apt to pay back his loans but anthropology majors are not.
The austerity will drain the swamps of commies who will have to flip burgers for a living.
A world without commies is a better place.
Talkin with Beak is like talkin with Dubya's asshole!!
Let me play devil's advocate here, in this case known also as Reagan's asshole. Isn't anthropology more theory than hard science? Just curious. Hasn't a lot of it been discredited? For example, the theory that the world was once a "matriarchal" society, where everything was all peaches and cream? LOL
Pagan = i hope you don't claim to be educated. You are the one sounding like a man with a paper asshole!!
kultur; Pagan is asking a question and there are varying interpretations of "educated". Much as with psychology, sociology, etc there is a lot of hard science versus soft science tension here.
Research is ongoing is the way I look at it.
Troutsky-
Thanks. I see a problem with anthropology and sociology being mainly that of accepting theory as established fact, and in some cases clinging dogmatically to it to the exclusion of any other equally relevant theories.
For example, I could sit here and type out a perfectly reasonable explanation for the presence of apparently matriarchal cultures in prehistoric civilizations. Strike that, I could sit here and type out several theories to explain them, all the while pointing out that there is no evidence whatsoever that these cultures were ever the norm.
Granted, I would be pulling these theories out of my ass, but that wouldn't make them any less viable or legitimate, other than the fact that I don't have any "proof" to back them up.
But alas, you can't tell these edumacated sorts anything. They seem to already have all the answers. They can't "prove" them either, but then again, who needs "proof" when you have "reason".
That, or maybe a subconscious, unresolved crush on Betty Rubble.
@ the Pagan, et. al.
And remember this Mr. HARD science guy... your scientific hypotheses were and are only guesses meant to save (justify) the appearance of phenomena before our eyes, in a world already objectified by theoretically objective observers. It's all patty wack. SO keep clinging to your science and your religion... and just make sure that you bend over and kiss your ass goodbye when the collapse is in full swing. I really don't give a rat's ass about your opinions. And try reading something besides comic books. Try Owen Barfield, Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry. If you can read, that is!!
"And remember this Mr. HARD science guy... your scientific hypotheses were and are only guesses meant to save (justify) the appearance of phenomena before our eyes, in a world already objectified by theoretically objective observers."
Wow! I'm a top-notch, world-class anthropologist and didn't even know it. Is your university hiring?
"It's all patty wack."
No it ain't. Okay, I admit I did that a couple of days ago, but I'm cutting down, I swear.
"and just make sure that you bend over and kiss your ass goodbye when the collapse is in full swing."
Thanks. Should I duck under a bridge so the sky won't cram my face up my ass when it falls?
"I really don't give a rat's ass about your opinions."
Of Cooooooourse you don't, and I'm ever so grateful that you took time out from your busy schedule to remind me of that.
"And try reading something besides comic books. Try Owen Barfield, Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry. If you can read, that is!!"
I think I've actually read that somewhere. He says "Shazam"! and then transforms into "Captain Fabulous", after which he and his trusty sidekick, "Kulture the Boy Wonder" battle to "Save The Appearances" from the villainous forces of the evil corporate industrial complex.
Join them every week, same batshit crazy time, same batshit crazy channel.
Kultur
Have you taken any classes in mathematical probability. The mathematical chances of a person paying off his student loans with a degree in accounting or chemistry is higher than that of an Anthropology major.
Why should the tax payer subsidize unemployable political hacks with zero probability of earning an honest living.
No Bolshevism on my Dime.
Drain the swamps and eliminate Bolshevism where the vermin breed.
Beak, what did you have to major in to become an "officer".
Do you include arts majors in your derision and do you know what a good graphic designer can earn? Hint: More than an "officer".
My niece is currently well on track to retiring her student loans. She was a music major, any comment?
Post a Comment
<< Home