Classified Information
It occurred to me a while back that with all the talk now about classified information I really had little idea what that term actually meant, how many classifications there might be, how they were determined or what kind of oversight of the process might exist.
I posed these questions to Cheryl Rofer over at Phronesisaical who had some personal knowledge ( she is a scientist at the margins of policy making) and was kind enough to hunt down some reference materials.
Much of what I wondered about is contained in Executive Order 13526 and there is a good summary here. I found this part of the definition interesting:
EO 13526 limits classification to information that pertains to scientific, technological or ECONOMIC matters relating to national security.
It occurs to me how easy it would be to conflate economic prosperity with economic security, making any action which results in profit classifiable, and anyone who exposes corporate malfeasance guilty of undermining the country. Unpatriotic and criminal. Hopefully the next batch of leaked cables point to this form of complicity between our government and U.S. business against foreign governments and foreign workers.
This is the alliance which makes it so hard for mainstream U.S. unions to declare any kind of international solidarity with workers in other parts of the world. Globalization has made this murkier but there is still a whole " Made in America" , get our economy moving and " re-build the middle class" meme out there. The problem is that if the new global middle class manufactures and consumes like America if the 50's and 60's it will mean the end of our ecosystem.
It is also against the rules to classify something just to "prevent embarrassment" or to"conceal violations of law, inefficiency or administrative error". I think that is who we need to be prosecuting, those who classified memos just to avoid embarrassment.

13 Comments:
We should be demanding abolish state secrets.
Holiday Greetings
Don't worry Ren,they'll show you your file. All you have to do is ask.
Mine is disappointing, Pagan.
Enough for Beak to call for my deportation but disappointing all the same.
I wouldn't think being a fan of shitty "classical" music and artsy-fartsy films would make one subject to government surveillance Ducky.
No, Pagan, those weren't the reasons.
I confess though, I do think the Beethoven string quartets are a cut above Metallica. I think it's a shame that right wingers expect me t apologize for being able to follow a melody line that's longer than a one bar hook. But there you have it. In fact if you take a random playlist from my iPod, you're likely to get just about anything except metal.
I've never figured out what constitutes "artsy-fartsy". From a list of my ten favorite films, why not pick out the ones that are "artsy-fartsy". You can check them out on my profile. Now, "Celine and Julie Go Boating", even though it develops a radical approach to narrative (much more radical than something like "Inception") is probably "artsy-fartsy" but I'm not sure about the others, except maybe "Jeanne Dielman..."
The only one of them I saw you had listed was "M", which was pretty good. I saw it and
"Potemkin" on some silent film festival somebody had once.
Is Stagecoach really that good? I had a chance to watch it the other night and passed it up. I have a pretty eclectic taste in film myself, though I haven't seen a great lot. I'm probably the only person you would class as conservative whose top ten films would include American Beauty. Most conservatives hate that, for some reason. I also don't care much for straight up action films and detest most romantic comedies.
There's not much I do like. I know what I would like, but the more something sounds like it would be good, the more I'm usually disappointed just a little, sometimes a lot.
Strangely, Metallica always struck me as what classical music would sound like if it was composed for a metal band. I don't really claim they're one of my favorites, but I like them okay. I think you might be judging them on the basis of one or two songs. Probably Enter Sandman, though that is actually one of my favorites.
The hook is what sells the song, like the opening bar of Deep Purple. Its like the sizzle selling the steak. It draws you in and carries you through. That's what makes popular music popular music. You carry it with you and in some cases it provides a reference point for different periods of your life. You hear a song from your past and it reminds you of this or that.
Classical music is different. Its like comparing apples and oranges. Entirely different art form.
trout, ren, kultur, pagan, lichanos et. al. Merry Christmas.
Thanks Ducky Merry Christmas to you too, and to Troutsky, and everybody else. Beak too. God bless us everyone. HaHa
Мир на Земле
Peace on Earth
My file came out at the Church Commission.
Holiday Greetings
Thanks all, Merry Christmas and a revolutionary new year.
I'm ready for the House Un-American Activities Committee to swing back into action. I'll probably get an invite.
Ducky you are merely a useful accomplice to the more souless types
who seem to parrot the Hugo Chavez line 24/7.
Commies talking about government transparency is this a bad comedy club material from the cult of Trotsky the mendicant war criminal.
Secret police, show execution and nepotism 101 are commie classic hits.
Troutsky
Unamerican is the starting point.
Unoriginal, Unintelligent, Ungrateful, Unmotivated, Uninformed and Untalented are earned as well.
As for the invite,I think Hugo has figured out you lack the talent to do anything productive. Talentless foreign dimwits are a dime a dozen.
Happy New Year, Beak.
Post a Comment
<< Home