Hegemony and Identity
In his Contribution to the Critique of Hegel, Marx presents two seemingly opposed methods for emancipation. In the first he says:
"The proletariat is coming into being in Germany only as a result of the rising industrial development."
This is the formation of a class as a historically determined, revolutionary agent.As the result of capitalist logic, this subject is formed by a "drastic dissolution of society" and humanity is emancipated. All particularity is dissolved into a universality ( representative of the community). Contrast this with a passage further on in the essay:
"On what is a partial, a merely political revolution based? On the fact that part of civil society emancipates itself and gains general domination;..For the revolution of a nation and the emancipation of a particular class of civil society to coincide, for one estate to be acknowledged as the state of the whole society, all the defects of society must conversely be concentrated in another class, a particular estate must be looked upon as the notorious crime of the whole of society, so that liberation from that sphere appears as general self-liberation."
Again, in the first case, all power is dissolved through a totalizing, universal effect. In the second case, no such unmediated universality can be asserted. Writing at a time when it was clear that mature capitalism was not headed in the direction of class solidification, as predicted by Marx, but instead towards increasing class complexity, Antonio Gramsci looked toward the nature of that "mediation" and theorized that any revolutionary subject would be formed through hegemonic, political construction rather than some automatic, necessary movement of history. This construction would take place in the realm of civil society and would be ideological in nature.
Lets see if we can apply this to something as concrete as our own American revolution. First we see that a "particular estate", the Crown, becomes the site where "the notorious crime of the whole of society" becomes identified. From this antagonism an identity of "American" is formed in opposition, an identity able to incorporate landed elites, tenant farmers, petite burgeois, and even some laborers. They are united in a universalizing, abstract concept of Freedom so that their individual, particular demands form a chain of equivalences. This is the moment of hegemonic articulation. It is an ideological challenge at the political level but it does not eliminate the unevenness of power in the challenging group ( the landed elites do not relinquish power) nor involve a total unity of "the people". The elites, through displacement and representation ( sign becomes signifier) are able to present their particular aims as the ones which are compatible with the actual functioning of society. The landed gentry present their own partial emancipation as the emancipation of society as a whole (and embed this in a Constitution). Hegemony.
Currently the "ruling class" (always partial and politically constructed) has hegemonic power through the spread of a dominant ideology using the "Bureaucratic State- New World Order Elites" as the site where "all the defects of society" reside. As the guardians of private property, free markets, free will (Freedom), particular sectors ( workers, small businessmen, liberals, farmers, etc..) are temporarily (and partially) universalized into a hegemonic historical bloc. Of course the bloc is unravelling as people try to understand how Rupert Murdoch, Donald Trump and Mitt Romney are part of Sarah Palin's Real America (state of the whole society)(?).
To be continued...

18 Comments:
What you are leaving out is that a good many of the "landed gentry" and the "elites" who signed the Declaration of Independence and fought in the revolution went bankrupt, lost their wealth and property, and died in poverty for their ideals.
Mainly though, you are glossing over the main appeal of the American dream. It appeals to people because they like the idea that, under our system, they have a better chance of becoming one of the landed gentry and the elite than they would under any other system.
The poor can rise up from poverty and attain the middle class, and beyond. It doesn't really even matter what race of religion a person might be. They can attain that success. It has happened. It has happened often. And that's something the intellectual elites truly despise more than anything else about the American system.
@pagan
And how often does this rise to the elite class happen? It certainly did happen, and it still does, but how often? Less and less. Moreover, when America was 'new,' it obviously could happen more. The industrial revolution helped. Now, we are not very different than the Old World. More class mobility, perhaps, but even more income inequality.
And that's something the intellectual elites truly despise more than anything else about the American system.
I would very much like to know what your basis for the above statement is. Who are those elites, and what have they done or said that shows their attitude? I suggest that this is YOUR conservative-cliche distortion of currrent American culture used as a rhetorical cudget to make a crude point. Not that it matters much, but I'm sure you could go to the haunts of the bluest of the bluebloods in the USA and buttonhole anyone to hear, "Oh yes, our nation is wonderful. Anyone can become rich, or even president!" One reason they so strongly support this condition is that they know it happens so rarely.
As for you, Trout - can you not see how utterly jerry-rigged this historical model of yours is? I think Marx was brilliant, but trying to apply his late 19th century concepts to a 21st century knowledge of 18th century politics seems dubious to me. Not to mention his own methodological issues... Reminds me of the great vogue for re-interpreting all literature in a Freudian mode that swept the USA in the 1930s and 40s.
It happens in the US less and less because of government interference in the way of taxes, and even more importantly, in the way of regulations. Both of those factors put a brake on creativity and entrepreneurship. But it does still happen, the most obvious modern day examples being college dropout Bill Gates, and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, two people who would have far less chances to rise to their current levels of success in practically any other place in the world, including Europe.
Admittedly, they are rare, and their level of success is unusual, but it just goes to show that it does and can still happen, and if that level of success is still attainable, then lower levels of success and achievement are even more within reach.
An old term for people like them is nouveau rich, and yes, they are looked down upon by the blue-bloods of society who, agreed, would be the first ones to sing their praises during the political season, yet in some cases are the same ones who support the very tax and regulatory system which makes their brand of success more and more rare.
But it goes without saying that the more the current tax and regulatory system is maintained and expanded, the less possible such numbers of success will become, until soon, under any logical conclusion, they will be all but nonexistent.
But whether it is called socialism, or social democracy, or some mutant, cancer ridden form of state capitalism, the effect will be the same. Keep the worker drones in their place-hungry, stupid, and pliable,
@pagan
And how is it that the tax and regulatory system frustrated the rise of Bill Gates and Mark Z (both students at Harvard, and so, hardly, children of the underprivileged)? Or Mr. Blankfein of Goldman, who started in the mailroom?
What evidence do you have that gov't regulation is "putting a brake on creativity"? Sounds like slogan to me. Or does it "just stand to reason?"
And most people are not "entrepreneurs." So why focus on them anyway? What about people who just want to get an education, or one for their children, and get a decent middle-class job? How does the gov't stymie their legitimate wishes? By taking government loans away from middleman who just raise the cost and add no value? By raising the taxes on the wealthiest 1% so theirs can stay the same? By trying to make it impossible for them to be denied health insurance?
I would say that among the entrepreneurs of the middleclass, as opposed to the few stratispherically successful ones, the greatest drag on creativity and experimentation, or even looking for a better job, is the fear of loosing health coverage. And I suppose this is because the government is not allowing a sufficiently free market to the insurers?
And so on...
Lichanos, there's no reason for me to be having this discussion with you, you yourself are a bureaucrat by your own admission, so naturally you want to defend the status quo. All I can say is what I have said before, I am not in favor of no government at all, I am in favor of limited government.
I don't know what position you hold in government, but if it is not spelled out explicitly in the constitution, in a way that can be read and understood by the average person (as opposed to an attorney using weasel word language to "interpret" the right where none truly exists) then you plainly don't have a right to the position.
Most of us don't want to live like Europeans. That's just the way it is. And if the day ever comes when we're the minority, then we'll just have to find some other way to make sure it fucking never happens. Take that how you will.
Pagan: I believe they were idealistic, obviously. But their class informed their ideals.
You get his drift Lichanos, who would want to live like a "European" for Christ's sake! Why can't we pee in the bidet? Where can I get a good burger?
As for my Marxism, I reject at least as much as I accept in terms of his theoretical work, but build on the foundational aspects with value ( no pun intended). You will hear me talk way more about democracy than any dictatorship of the proletariat or such. It's like you and old film, you appreciate what was innovative and game changing. That's what the whole lineage from Gramsci to Badiou is about.
Troutsky-
We have our own history, our own culture. What is so terrible about it that we should chuck it out the window to adopt the culture and values of a continent we rebelled from in the first place? What's so fucking great about Europe? I must admit, I don't see the attraction. If people like that fucking shit heap so much, a ticket doesn't cost that fucking much. I'm sure anybody that wanted to go there could adjust, adapt, and make a new life there with relative ease. Why the fuck not, since its so fucking great?
I have an idea, why don't we try to be more like Nigeria, or maybe Laos? Why be bigoted in our aspirations? Fuck those white honky motherfuckers.
Yeah, since I'm a conservative, that's probably what I would be seeing from you if I said I LIKED Europe. You'd be accusing me of being attracted to their white colonialist past. Admit it!
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pagan,Europeans live pretty much the same as we do except the houses are smaller and the food is much better.
,,, oh and they have health insurance.
@Pagan
I don't know what position you hold in government...
I am an engineer with a private firm. I have been an engineer for nearly 30 years - I worked for city government for about three years long ago.
Your unconcern for facts as you construct your arguments is breathtaking.
How do you know "most of us don't want to live like Europeans?" Europe is a diverse place. There are many elements to living like a European. One is guaranteed health care. Yes, sometimes it's high unemployment. Tit for tat, we can go down the list. Shall we put each element to vote?
@Troutsky
It's like you and old film, you appreciate what was innovative and game changing...
Actually, that's not my attitude towards old films at all. I'm not focused on innovation, the avante guarde, or tracing the present back to the revolutions of the past. In a word, I would call that historicism, but that's material for another long discussion
Lichanos-
Again, if you like Europe, go there. Since its such an advanced haven of civilization in your mind, I'm sure you could go there to live, become a citizen of whichever nation there most suits your fancy, and make a contribution to that society. What's stopping you? I can promise you, it would be far, far, easier for you to do that than it will be for you to transplant the European system over here, because we're not going to have it over here. We will do whatever it takes to make sure we don't have it over here. Nothing threatening. I'm sure it won't take bloodshed, though if it does, I for one am down for that as well. But for the time being, let's just say there is a long standing tradition of civil disobedience in this country and there are plenty of us willing to ramp it up to the zenith. What are they going to do, arrest all of us, kill all of us? Shit, all we have to do is boycott Christmas and the fucking American economy would collapse. Do you think we're beyond that? If we ever did it, there goes Obama's little bureaucratic Disney World right there. And that's just for starters.
But, just for the time being, how's this for a slogan-
Buy Chinese!
I think I get it Pagan. I lived in Europe for four years in the early seventies and thoroughly enjoyed it, warts and all. But the trout fishing sucked (mostly private).I returned for love (woman and trout) and to try to rescue it from people like you.
And just think Trout, for all your trouble, Europe is controlled by a multi-government elite that has put intense restrictions on freedom, especially freedom of speech, while imposing its will on its citizenry, even when they exercise their vote against its dictates, such as the Lisbon Treaty.
Oh, but I guess you actually got what you wanted, huh? Congrats there, dude. Just don't get your little feelings hurt when I reject that kind of Elitocracy taking hold over here.
I'll say one thing good about Europe. Their medical system is in such a shambles, everybody suffers under it equally. One man actually died recently waiting in line for an operation that could have saved his life.
The kicker? Not only was he a bureaucrat, he was a bureaucrat connected to the British health care system.
Now THAT'S democracy!
Pagan, just what do you mean by creativity?
May I say that the right wing is very hostile to creativity, especially if they sense any kind of government funding.
What does your definition encompass and do you feel collective funding is of any cultural value?
May I point out that Russia around the time of the revolution was a very creative period. Not wanting to derive anything one way or another but wondering if anything can give you pause.
@pagan
Now THAT'S democracy!
Somewhere out there, I keep searching, there is a 'conservative' who is actually interested in thinking straight, using factual analysis, and clearly articulating his underlying values (with which I may totally disagree) and with whom one can have a useful discussion or argument. Pagan is typical of what has become the public face (the ONLY face?) of conservatism - self-righteous ranting by the party of the soi disant victimized.
Oh, pardon my French, but I just can't hide my elitism...
Post a Comment
<< Home