Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dinner With the Gov

I had occasion to break bread with Montana's governor Brian Schweitzer last Thursday night. He and his entourage visited the lodge I work at for a day of fishing and so I got to see the supreme politician at work, up close and personal. I was introduced to him during "happy hour" as a member of the IWW- which took him aback- but only momentarily. It gave him the perfect opening to expound on his full fledged support of the public service union and how he provided them with "a much needed win". I just nodded in exchange for prime rib.

At dinner the conversation turned to the nations debt woes and the military-industrial complex which compels us into unnecessary and expensive war. All good, liberal sentiments expressed with moral rectitude. I didn't ask the Gov what Americans would do for employment without wars or the threat of wars. I wasn't invited to ask hard questions. Talk ranged from dog breeds to forest fires, the ineptitude of Republicans and arguments against Herman Cain's flat tax.

We never got to the environment, unfortunately, because Brian (I'm now on a first name basis) is the King of Coal and supports the XL pipeline carrying Tar sands Crude through Montana. Butte is a mining town and the locals, especially the unions, love their resource extraction. Local Democratic politicians have to love it too.

I did admire the Gov's courageous stance in favor of single-payer health care and he is a charismatic and charming actor. Larger than life and totally full of himself, he could crush Ron Paul or Romney or Palin in a debate. Watch for him in 2016. Maybe I can be the Presidential Fishing guide!

6 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Obviously, if you started to talk about your politics you would have been shown the door.

A wiser man would have deduced that advocacy of political criminality
in the face of mountains of dead is a bad idea. You are more fundamentalist than the folks at the 700 club.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beak - your fundamentalism is showing!

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trout - why didn't you ask him what we're gonna do after we destroy all the water tables and rivers?

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Yeah, that is the critical question, kultur.

This thing is going to pass through the Midwest's prime source of water, but what can go wrong?

Beak, nice to see you took time out from the Giuliani-2012 campaign.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Beak is actually right. I can't mention my real politics here in the Land of the Free.

It's nice to imagine one could have that type of serious interaction (and that it might have some effect on policy) but that's not really how it works. The Gov would simply have deflected the question and I would have become persona non grata.

Discourse within limits is the name of the game here in Lodge World.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Troutsky

Don't worry, the opponents of Marxism are told by the President of Guyana "now is not the time to discuss this" when he visits the community in NYC. You can always pack your bags and emigrate to join Hugo and live your insane collectivist fantasies in Hugo's Crack Den.

Paraphrasing Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes " Get your Paws off my wallet you Marxist Ape".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home