Monday, May 28, 2007

Week 1

It's going to be a long season. I take rich people fishing for a living, yes, a "high class" whore, an "escort" perhaps, and it is a trial in the best of times. But now, with the Empire desperately lashing out and it's apologists becoming more and more delusional, I am finding it harder and harder to swallow my bile and hold out my hand. A not untypical scene:

During the hour long ride to the put-in on the lower Big Hole last Friday, my long time client starts in on how our plan to bring freedom to the Iraqis has not turned out as well as was expected. I can only laugh, (we had this conversation last year) and express amazement at his total lack of awareness, honesty, integrity,etc.. We openly discuss politics, he knows my ideology, but it never usually opens into a candid debate because I work for him, we're supposed to be "relaxing" etc. Still, he acts hurt, a little indignant even at my inability to take his comment seriously. With anger creeping into his voice the jumbled, confused, incoherant slogans which are his belief system come spewing out with no space for interjection and I am forced to jabbing rebuttals on top of the non-stop jingoism. In the confusion his true ,guiding philosophy comes out as he states "I will do whatever it takes to hang on to what I have."

At last, the layers of psuedo-intellectual rationalization are peeled back and we confront each others realities. He is living the "American Dream", owns tremendous wealth and property which creates unlimited opportunity for himself and his children and my socialism, all the "terrorists" and all the "Other" out there are a threat he is willing to confront with any amount of force necessary. The "Other" includes all deviations from his social norm, feminists, gays, other races, religions and ethnicities but the bottom line is haves and have -nots and I am at once relieved all the pretence of "compassionate conservatism" is gone and the naked desire, avarice and fear lay exposed and of course saddened this decent human cannot source some empathy to fight the greed. My clients college-age son in the back seat parrots his Sean Hannity sound bites knowing full well what he stands to inherit, fully immersed in his lacrosse team reality, a nice car, apartment and summer job with Dad's company. "Islam is a demented religion","Arabs are a violent race"," the teachers at his private college are left wingers","schools are teaching kids to be gay", Duke team frame up, Iran will wipe out the Jews, Why can't the UN save Darfur? on and on through the whole moronic litany till we finally get near the river and he turns to me oh-so-sincerely and says "We all want the same thing for our children, peace."

Nineteen more weeks to go.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Ché Bob said...

Hang in there Trout...or not.

I don't know about having patience anymore! Do we have to wait for the haves to see the damage they do? Isn't it naive to assume they ever will? How much energy should we expend trying to convince the wealthy they are in the wrong? Isn't asking that question ludicrous (convincing the wealthy to share, ha!)?

One of my favorite uncle's from my youth regaled me this weekend at a family gathering for my grandmother's 90th birthday with story after story of fishing trips around the world that he and his oil buddies have taken. Including a whooper about fishing on the border of Venezuela and Colombia among drug-traffickers. Hooking into the most ferocious fighting Peacock Bass and Piranhas.

Alaska, according to him is a fisherman's paradise. The list of fish he caught in Alaska's streams reads like a full species list. But what really got me was the "hard work" that is--according to him--fishing. All the loading and unloading of one's boat, the camping, and the mosquitoes, it's a wonder anyone could survive such intense labor!

My favorite was this doozy about "hunting" trips to Scotland, Wales and Northern England. They were more like "shootings" since they had local farmers called--I shit you not--"serfs" herd the pheasants towards the hunters. Between the morning and afternoon shootings, they return to the clubhouse for a fancy meal and drinks. The hunters were required to wear a special suit with tie, vest and coat as well as special boots--oh boy! These private hunting clubs are for the very wealthiest and exclusively limited to special guests. They sell themselves through full-color catalogs listing all their famous, VIP guests, amenities, etc.

On the brighter side, I suppose you can say that at least you don't have to herd fish towards gun-tooting clients that have an obvious contempt for you! Perhaps the time has come for "serfs" to pick up a gun and start herding the wealthy towards a consequence fitting of their crimes...

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...the jumbled, confused, incoherant slogans which are his belief system..."

Given the fact that you hold the political beliefs of a ignorant teen-age hippie, I don't doubt that you view other like that. You would be far worse if you had any power; you would have an executioner, ala che, to put a round in the back of his head. The fact that so many of your posts are about how tired you are of those with whom you disagree (you know, all the "incoherant" idiots that see collectivism as a road to hell), the violence you would be willing to unleash is no mere speculation. You seem unable to grasp the individual nature of human beings, even as you approach sixty years on this planet.
BTW Your buddy hugo is really starting to ramp up the show; no room for dissent in utopia.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hugo is doing just fine in the real world. Bush bombed Al Jazeera twice for telling the arab world what was going on in Iraq under the jackboot of US stormtroopers yet Hugo tolerated a TV station using the public spectrum that had physically assisted in a military coup to overthrow his democratically elected government.

Methinks your double standards are laughable anon. Like Trout I'm utterly tired of your antirational tribal bullshit.

I do very well in the neoliberal world but I don't have to cheer for the slaughter and degradation of it all. And I don't have to believe the nonsense to exploit the system to my own benefit. In fact, that would be counterproductive.

Propaganda is for the sheep.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Yodood said...

Ah, Trout, I feel for you – but somehow in this post you have pointed up, to me at least, the primary problem between the "haves and have-nots" being that the have-nots primarily identify themselves in the same terms as the haves would have it: The rich have money – despite the corruption you see money wreak upon the humanity of others, you want it too. Just that fact alone justifies your client's imperial attitude about the wannabes of the collective much less the fact that he can consider you his serf. Our addiction to the stuff money buys and the gutters we sweep to acquire it is the crux of the angst we feel. I read a quote at blondesense today which hits the problem dead center:

"Everyone thinks of changing the world,
but no one thinks of changing himself."

Leo Tolstoy

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Ché Bob said...

Greg,

EXCELLENT QUOTE!

Also, identifying with the imperial class is a result of the spectacle the dominant system produces. Here's a quote for you:

"Media stars are spectacular representations of living human beings, distilling the essence of the spectacle's banality into images of possible roles."

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

I suppose I am "addicted" to money Greg but can we really get away from it? Don't you use money? Without saving some I row this boat till I die.With my privelege I am able to send my wife to study peace in Viet Nam, we live simply but still have wealth beyond the planetary average.But compared to my clients or Che Bobs uncle?

I think worrying about ones "authenticity", thinking we have to experience direct oppression in order to be revolutionary, is counter-productive.I am able to discern my role in the exploitive system and still work to undermine it.

Anon, could you please give us your assesment of the status quo,whether you are satisfied with the rate of world development, what you would change or where you see inequitiy? I know what you DONT like. Can I love my fellow men and still find them ignorant and incoherant?

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Yodood said...

If we feel we muat have that which only money can buy, whether we are addicted is determined by how much of ourselves we cede to get it and how powerless we are to do without.

"Do what thy wilt, that is the whole of the law."

That explains not only karma, but resolves the age old argument between determinism and free will. We are free to do what we wish and it is predetermined that what we do will always deal with nature - atomic, human, planetary.

Seems to speak to a balance of how deep and long lasting a change one wants and how much and haw soon one is willing to change ones contribution to the problem one presumes to solve. There's revolution (new boss, just like the old boss), revelation (following a new leader in a new direction) and paradigm shift (a unified mutual celebration of our natural variety).

As usual I have wandered off the map, but rarely off the ground.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Puppeteer said...

I sincerely wish you good luck on the following weeks. I stopped arguing ignorants long time ago (well, the ignorants I have here are of the Islamic neo-con type, but the idea is exaclty the same, I sometimes wonder howcome these two oposites don't get along. Oh, wait, they do, I forgot about the marvelous relations between Saudi Arabia and the US)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home