Out of The Loop
Every May Troutsky has to leave the world of political activism (and it's attendant blogging) and head back to the world of trout, rowing wealthy clients around the Big Hole River in piscatorial pursuit. I need money. They got lots of it. I will check in periodically, try to post some, but my focus is on fish for the next four months.
There is some INTERESTING conversation taking place within my link circle, Che Bob, Renegade Eye, Sonia ,Graeme, Beakerkin and others seem to be slowly breaking through some of the bullshit layers but I must admit to being a little to impatient (agitated) to partake. I am in a wierd space right now, having just returned from ten days of little or no news or media of any kind to find everything the SAME AS IT EVER WAS. Inertia and the status quo have a terrible force, relentless and debilitating.
"Modern tyranny leaves the body free and attacks the soul." Tocqueville
We watched Children of Men last night , I highly recommend it. In its dystopic vision modern tyranny attacks both the soul and the body. There is some interesting comment by Slajov Zizek, Naomi Klien and others on the DVD.

8 Comments:
I hear you loud and clear Trout. In fact, I may have found a salve of sorts for what has ailed you and I lately: Ward Churchill's, Pathology of Pacifism. (It came as part of our Friends of AK Press monthly books.)
You had been frustrated by the "peace" (read: "status quo") movement a lot lately. A feeling I share, I might add. Anyway, this essay by Churchill--though a bit of a bludgeon--attacks the inert passivism of "pacifism."
Last night I went to a presentation at Shakespeare Book Co. by a Tuscon group called Root Force: Demolishing Colonialism at its Roots. I was drawn to their uncompromising direct activism, which included the possibilities of violent action.
WE NEED TO TALK!!!
It's a great film. Good luck dealing with rich fucks, err, I mean folks.
I got that same book Che. Friends of AK press is great.
Children of Men was great on many levels.
Sonia pointed out Julianne Moore was Trotsky.
Che Bob: Being arrested is a drain on the movement. It's a time for mass action, under correct demands.
Knowing the three of you still check out my blog,even after the long hiatus, makes me feel much better.
I have to think of my work as an opportunity, graeme, to gain some insight into the mind, culture, and politics of the hyper-rich.I also have to drink alot.
Once again, Troutsky's post reminds me that I really ought to get moving on my long-delayed project of writing a book about the world of fishing guides. It will be my great contribution to the under-appreciated field of the Sociology of Fly Fishing. I'm counting on Troutsky to be a key informant.
I can't talk about my clients till I retire (the day I can't see or row a boat) but the rest of the beans Ill gladly spill, Eric.
watched Children of Men last night , I highly recommend it. In its dystopic vision modern tyranny attacks both the soul and the body.
'Children of Men' also attacks the Revolution. It condemns it for always evolving from its humanistic stage (represented by Julianne Moore - a kind of Rosa Luxemburg or Leon Trotsky) to a fascist stage (represented by Chiwetel Ejiofor - a perfect Stalin or Mao)...
Remember that before you try to replace Columbia's imperfect system by revolutionary means...
"Imperfect".
Classic unthink.
Just been in France for 2 weeks. For all the doom and gloom about the crumbling state of the French economy and the need for some neoliberal shock therapy, I found no evidence that the sky had fallen.
Actually, quite the opposite, unless you measure an economy these days by the number of Porsches in the streets, or surveillance cameras. In which case London beats Paris hands down.
Post a Comment
<< Home