Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Another Season

I finished my twenty second season as a trout fishing guide yesterday. I packed up my cabin and said goodbye to my comrades and the river I love and drove home through country so beautiful it made me want to cry. We saw a herd of elk, including a nice six point bull, down in the river bottom (fairly unusual), as well as deer and antelope , ospreys and eagles. The reflection of golds and rusts on the water was breathtaking. We even caught some nice fish. It's dirty and it's smelly and it really don't pay, but I'll be a trout guide till the end of my days.

Now I'll do some fishing on my own, for my own pleasure rather than money. Trout on the Bitterroot and Clark Fork, steelhead on the Salmon and Clearwater Rivers. I'll keep working on my new garden spot and take a course on ZNet called writing political literature. I'll keep working on my book and this blog. Maybe I'll make it to Bolivia.

As the DOW loses another 200 points ( 9760 at 10:50) they are ritually piloring the Evil, Corrupt and Greedy CEOs of Lehman, AIG, etc in front of Congress. They are trying to get at the TRUTH! The ECG CEOs appear heartbroken and shocked and appropriately humbled. Henry Waxman is looking for "mismanagement". The American people keep drinking the kool-aid because to face REALITY is far, far to painful. We can Win The Wars with Honor, we can become "Energy Independent" by burning Clean Coal and Drill Baby Drill and investing in New Technologies! The American People are Exceptional, the Hardest Working, Beacon on the Hill ETC ETC..ad nauseum.

"The individual, though condemned to the passive acceptance of an alien everyday reality, is thus driven into a form of madness in which, by resorting to magical devices, he entertains the illusion that he is reacting to his fate. The recognition and consumption of commodities are at the core of this psuedo-response to a communication to which no response is possible."

Guy Dedord from Society of the Spectacle

We must end the commodification of life, interrupt the "passive acceptance" and concieve a response. Soon.

6 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eventually I'm going to have to arrange a stint as a visiting professor at Univ. of Montana, so you can show me the real Missoula and we can go fishing. In the meanwhile, I'll have to content myself with the Fall trout in the Virginia and North Carolina Blue Ridge, which isn't a bad consolation.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

I drove through northern Montana and southern Alberta this summer. wonderful. Now i'm getting used to freeways and traffic jams in the twin cities. i've been here a week and i already hate driving. i'll get used to it.

i've lost 3,000 in my 401k in the last few months (the company i worked for didn't have any sort of pension plan). i may need to pull it all out if i don't get a job soon. hopefully this will put an end to the serious talks of privatizing social security.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Bolivia is really dangerous. The reactionary groups on the ground, are violent and actual fascist.

The debate tonight put me asleep.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Eric, it would be a real pleasure. I stood in a beautiful riffle five minutes from my house yesterday and caught trout after trout, cold weather is coming tommorro.I spent four winters in NC and caught large and small mouthbass, stripers, and carp, no trout.

graeme, didn't mean to rub it in.I'm losing my only retirement money day by day but I knew I'd never be able to retire in this country.

Ren,a global economic collapse will favor the indigenous world wide who know how to survive hard times. The plutocrats and fascists will be starved out.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Graemeful Dead

Why am I not surprised you are unemployed? You will need to get a PHD to become a member of the Old Bolshevik Club in higher ed.

Go South Hugo Chavez needs.

Troutsky would have to learn how to deal with Piranha so in classic communist style he will just toss a Kulak as bait.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I like the city, but your description of the landscape did make me think about planning another trip...

This financial mess is truly enlightening. I still feel entitled to find it entertaining - no bread riots or massive unemployment as of yet. The talk of the pundits is so interesting ... endless explanations of complex financial instruments all designed to obscure one simple fact--there was no real wealth creation going on - just a Ponzi scheme. So simple, the power of greed and the beliefs it creates...so strong.

Someone once told me, "There are no adults." It's just the same as it always was back on the playground in elementary school, only the stakes get higher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home