Cabal
It always cracks me up that local right-wingers and "inside job" type lefties come together on the fear that a shadowy cabal of elitists exists "somewhere out there." Hello people, ever hear of Davos, Switzerland? The ruling class makes a huge show about their little get together, splashing it across the front of all the papers. It's on again for next week and they may still have some tickets left.
It's openly called the World Economic Forum.Google is going to throw a party estimated to cost $250,000. Sulley Sullenberger is a featured speaker. A Strategic Partnership costs $622.000 but you still have to pay the $3,400 from Zurich and back for helicopter service.( there is a free bus for those "worried about their environmental footprint") I imagine that riding the bus gives you the same kind of cred as getting tear gassed in Seattle does for Anti-globalistas.
There are doubts creeping into the champagne and caviar however.The founder and executive chairman is expressing his own "concern that governments and international organizations can no longer cope with the capacity and fast pace of this new reality" (capitalist crisis) A CEO said "You always feel like you are in the wrong place. like the real Davos is happening in secret." Even those in the cabal think there is a cabal! Because the "cabal" isn't people, it is a logic.It's everywhere but you can't really touch it.
From the Merrill Lynch Cap Gemini World Wealth Report: The total liquid wealth of the rich in 2009, 39 trillion, was 2/3 of WORLD GDP. A year when global unemployment grew by 14.4%. High Net Worth Individuals (1 million) grew by 17% but Ultra- HNWI's outpaced them. There are only 36,300 of them (.0005% of population) but they now have 35.5% of the worlds wealth ( 14 trillion)
So as U.S. luxury spending rebounds, the Economix blog at the NY Times writes : The Moral Heart of Economics. "There is a deep moral tenet, a belief in the value of human freedom- at the core of our discipline."

11 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ah yes, the annual "Save Capitalism rally.
I was listening to the BBC World News podcast over a coffee and they had a very interesting story about the micro lending movement in India, it's collapsing. And just what happened? Control was turned over from government and nonprofits to private companies.
The invisible hand pretty quickly turned it all into a payday loan scam. Desperately poor people are in hock up to their eyes.
Now the poor have no voice and the perps rather than not learning a lesson have learned all too well.
It won't be reported in America but if it were I imagine The Vulgar Gasbag or Sean Inanity would be up there reminding us that the government can't do anything right. Well, when you turn everything over to "the free market" (LMAO) no, but that won't be mentioned.
Meanwhile, ren was correct. They're in the streets in Egypt. I haven't heard Obama take a position on the movement, might help to legitimize it and we like things as they are.
Far from Davos (or maybe not far at all):
"US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said her administration supported "the fundamental right of expression and assembly" and urged all parties "to exercise restraint".
She added that Washington believed the Egyptian government was "stable" and "looking for ways to respond to the legitimate needs and interests of the Egyptian people"."
That's tellin' 'em Barrack.
I'm going to start a new drinking game. Every Saturday night I'm going to scroll through all of Ducky's newest comments, and every time he mentions the "invisible hand" I'm going to take a shot of Jack. Double shot for every mention of Rand.
Of course Troutsky does not mention the anti Semitic origin of the word Cabal.
From Wiki:
The term took on its present meaning from a group of ministers of King Charles II of England (Sir Thomas Clifford, Lord Arlington, the Duke of Buckingham, Lord Ashley, and Lord Lauderdale), whose initial letters coincidentally spelled CABAL, and who were the signers of the public Treaty of Dover that allied England to France in a prospective war against the Dutch.
---------------
Let us know where you find the antisemitism. To avoid offending you maybe you can post a complete list of antisemitic word or should we just discontinue writing in English?
That is exactly my point Beak, many people consciously or sub-consciously refer back to that old canard of "Jewish bankers." That particular faith tradition is probably represented at Davos but they don't go in disguise.
Pagan; De-construction of the mystical interpretation of market forces lays bare the lie around which all our economic activity is organized. I'll drink to that as well.In fact I wish we COULD do this around a bottle of the old Irish.
Ducky: Not much word from Israel or Joe Lieberman about their policies in the region. I don't think Condi Rice got the whole Shia- Sunni thing.
"You always feel like you are in the wrong place. like the real Davos is happening in secret"
Poor capitalists, yes. Karl Marx was quite emphatic on the loosing battle such people fight with their own system. They too are victims, albeit, rather comfortable ones!
@Ducky & Beak:
That same Wiki article states that the word has its origins in Kabbalah, which is exactly what I had always thought. Nor do I have any question at all that the history of the word is filled with Jew-baiting and the like. You can't deny that.
On the other hand, I find it bizarre and lamentable that Beak feels righteously justified in critizing Trout for NOT remarking on the anti-semitic origin of the word. I seem to recall a Russian writer who remarked that under Stalin, one was often hauled off to prison for what one had NOT said. Is Beak a crypto-Stalinist?
Cabal is pretty well established in English as a faith-neutral pejorative, I think. My wife thinks I shouldn't use the word "gyp" as in, "He gypped me," because it is a slur on Gypsies. (Also on Egyptians, from whence Gypsies were thought to hail.) I oblige her, but don't really agree. If nobody has a clue why the word is what it is, it's pretty safe to say it's lost its original connotation.
Now, let's hear your list of prohibited words, Beak.
The word is a long way from its origins, Lichanos.
There's that great scene in "Born Yesterday" when Judy Holliday wises to her sugar daddy's schemes and blurts out "A cabal".
I haven't asked Beak if the scene is anti-semitic.
I guess I should have put scare quotes around it.
Lichanos
Crypto Stalinist is quite amusing for a third generation anti Communist. Marxists belong in jails or mental health facilities.
Troutsky uses antisemitic words readily as he is a fundamentalist loser in the Marxist death cult. Populist antisemitism is the glue that holds the alliance of Nazis (liberal white boy), Jihadis and Commies together.
Right now the goal is to feign some concern about the environment as a cause to cease power. Commies via their actual record on the environment ( Think Chernobyl Farms) claiming to be the salvation of the planet is comedic.
Troutsky should think of reading his material in a comedy club with Prof Tarzan Krolic dressed up like George of the Jungle. He would make an actual living as opposed to exploiting fish that regularly outsmart him and laugh at his feeble efforts to catch them.
Post a Comment
<< Home