Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More Creative Destruction?

We should just let the free market sort things out at the Japanese nuclear reactors. If it blows up there is a rational solution, don't buy their power. This will discipline them to build better reactors in the future! Trying to regulate them will just create inefficiencies you see.I love it when life is so simple, so rational!


As I write this, investors are "heading for the exits" as CNN puts it,( DOW down another 125) but with the Japanese Central Bank pouring liquidity into the system, they are averting a global crash. But of course, Central Banks are evil, and Japan's economy should be allowed to implode to discipline them for being in the way of the tsunami.This is all free market 101. Suffering there will create opportunity for others in perfect equilibrium!

Update: DOW down 230 The moral hazards of interfering in the market can be weighed against the real hazard of evacuating Japan. Profit to be made now in transportation! In iodine tablets!

This brings up the question of whether the 50 workers in the melting nuclear plant should have collective bargaining rights? Shouldn't supply and demand determine their salary as individuals weighing the risks privately?

In oil markets we can see the Saudi "stabilization" plan is working in Bahrain, helping jittery markets with supply worries. Who will buy Gaddafi oil if he is so willing to hurt his own people? Why, everyone. Good thing he doesn't have WMD's or Colin Powell might have to take him out in front of the U.N. Clinton is in Egypt introducing her friends from Goldman-Sachs to the Twitter revolutionists and so freedom and the free market should be able to work their magic in cheaper cotton and durable goods.Unless those rampaging Jihadi Islamists take over as Pagan predicted.

As for the leftists running NPR, they make sure to run the neutral commercials for Exxon-Mobile,General Electric, Morgan Stanley, etc etc.. at the beginning of each news report in the interest of full disclosure. Or as Zizek puts it:

"The ultimate show of power on the part of ruling ideology is to allow what appears to be powerful criticism."

You can fool some of the people most of the time.

9 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

I enjoyed the "leftist" discussion on Charlie Rose of the Wisconsin situation, Joe Klein and Mike Huckabee. Fair and balanced.

Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann would have been too much.

But occasionally they have something critical on Frontline and even this is too much for the right.

But our culture has taught us to be impatient and to react to soundbites, whether it is music that calls a one bar hook melody, a film that has to cut every four seconds for the action crowd or a political campaign. We have to get off this square before we can move towards establishing a leftist program.

I told some conservatives to keep an eye on Bahrain, wasn
t any way on earth we were going to stand for that shit. But when you look at the way the price of gas has gone up you know they think it's all justified.

Wisconsin or Bahrain, the power is all theirs.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

Yeah, good going Ducky, let's accept the price of gas going up to five dollars a gallon or more, food prices going up due to increased diesel fuel costs, and the price of electric in our homes going through the roof, so a bunch of Muslims can have the right to have one democratic vote one time to install a shariah regime which will then decide democracy is no longer needed or desired, since they will now be ruled directly by Allah, and then proceed to cut us off entirely, and still try to kill as many of us as I can.

I never though I'd ever see the day when I would be on Qaddafi's side. Universe, you win.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

And there we have it folks.

Fine, Pagan, I don't think it's an unusual position but what kinda steams me is that the freedom and democracy crowd never seem to have the integrity to admit it is THEIR freedom and democracy that alone matters.

Conflict of interests. They don't exist, just send the army to resolve any turbulence in the market.

Food is a little different story. Nature intrudes and we devalue the dollar to satisfy the banksters but we damn well better make sure OUR prices stay stable.

I will say this, I'm not an expert on the Middle East but I've lived there for a time, I have Arab neighbors (terrific people) and I have to say that you and Beak should really step back and understand that you just don't know that much.

And lord knows it isn't going to be you who suffers when the invisible hand start getting frisky. Kapital looks pretty good when you play it that way, but sorry Pagan, train in the tunnel.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

Yeah, they can be pretty nice as long as they're a very small minority. It's when they become a large minority or, heaven help us all, a majority, that things start to get problematic, to put it lightly. That's the Muslim branch of the Arab race, that is. The Christian branch will tell you pretty much the same thing. For example, the ones in Lebanon, who haven't forgotten certain, well, things.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger troutsky said...

Klein reminds me of a walking cigarette: oozing poisonous tars and nicotine.Now Bachmann in 2012!is altogether different. If I can sell this story I am working on I'll donate it all to her campaign in memory of Hunter Thompson.

I treat all religious people equally: as addicts. We all need something to lean on but magic has no place in civic affairs.

As for Pagan's hyper self-interest, it's tempting to cite evolution or some developmental metric but the science isn't there. I'll go with culture.

What is fascinating is that being wrong in his predictions inspires not self reflection, but a doubling down of sorts, a deepening belief in his ideological framework. Which throws the whole rational actor theory into serious doubt, Beak not withstanding.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

"Fine, Pagan, I don't think it's an unusual position but what kinda steams me is that the freedom and democracy crowd never seem to have the integrity to admit it is THEIR freedom and democracy that alone matters."

Oh, I don't have any problem whatsoever admitting that, especially when it comes to this bunch of clowns. Let me see a change in their attitudes towards women, and especially towards young girls, to say nothing of gays, Jews, Israelis, Christians, and anybody else that doesn't fit in with their world view, and maybe I'll change my mind.

Until such time, fuck them and the camel they rode in on. As far as I'm concerned, they have cursed themselves with the fucking dictators they deserve.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

"What is fascinating is that being wrong in his predictions inspires not self reflection, but a doubling down of sorts, a deepening belief in his ideological framework. Which throws the whole rational actor theory into serious doubt, Beak not withstanding."

Just curious, what prediction have I been wrong about?

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger troutsky said...

Islamists taking over Egypt.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

It's not over yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home