Saturday, June 24, 2006

Crusaders

Dallas Erickson, best known for his perpetual anti-obscenity crusade and Citizens for Economic Opportunity, has stepped up this time to defend the right of Wal-Mart to build a super center in our little ,rural town and drive out all the local businesses. The county imposed zoning cap on buildings over 60,000 sq. ft. "goes totally against free enterprise" he said. His group gathered the signatures of 6,500 residents (with Wal-Mart money covering mailing costs, salaries, data base etc) who also hope to protect sacred capitalism from the regulating commie scum. Dallas fought against anti-bullying legislation we tried to pass last year because it included sexual orientation as part of it's definition and he is committed to protecting our State from the Gay Agenda. He also was part of the effort to get "intelligent design" inserted into the highschool science curriculum. A true patriot and all around righteous dude. But like most conservatives, he's an idiot. Cluelesly supporting a monopoly that more closely resembles the economic organization of the 1950s Soviet Union. These morons think they are protecting free enterprise, which Im no great fan of, by the way, by helping a Goliath destroy all the competition. Fools.

7 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

Concentration of power is still concentration of power; it makes no difference whether it be wielded by the government, corporations or an amalgamation of the two.

You might enjoy this. Corporations are not capitalism.

I still don't get the whole intelligence design thing. Someday, maybe my simple mind will understand. Until then... oh well.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger troutsky said...

Thanks for the link, that quote of Jeffersons needs to be hung from every stoplight in the nation.Exactly right about concentrated power, we need to hang your saying along with Jeffersons.

Intelligent design theory starts with the concept of "irreducible complexity", in other words, systems designed so that the removal of any single part renders the whole useless. This concept is used in a weak and ultimately failed attempt to disprove natural selection .I can dig up some links if you are interested.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger The Continental Op said...

Wiser Man hits it right on the head. And I too like the Jefferson quote. (But I still think that Vox Day fellow is a stark raving lunatic!)

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

I'd be curious to look at the links. I find "irreducible complexity" to be fairly convincing myself. I buy the process of natural selection to an extent, but I've never been able to understand how something could evolve, say wings, without undergoing an intermediate stage in which the growing stubs made one less than evolutionarily adept.

My stance has been that we should teach evolution but do so skeptically so that we can either plug holes in the current theory or develop a new one entirely.

Since you would agree that concentrated power is inherently problematic, how are you yet a socialist? It seems that libertarianism would fit your philosphy nicely. Remove the government and the corporations and then allow people to willfully become socialists. Or have I missed something?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger troutsky said...

Ill meet you halfway,Wiser, we can be anarchists!Ive got no problem with that if we can devise some organizing principle for certain instances where large scale participation is necessary, Some of my best friends are anarchists! Actually, in my understanding of socialism, power rests in the entire working class and everyone is expected to pitch in.Therefore power is spread quite thin though I understand the skeptical nature of your point.How to insure a bureacracy does not hijack the project? I will speculate in my next post.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

You've come to the crux of the issue, good sir. I've no problem with shared possesions, even if I was orignally an ardent capitalist.

One of the main tenants of Belloc/Chesterton Distributism is that the people own the means of production. There are tenants of Marxism in this Christian third rail of economic theory, but they never go so far as to compel man to give up his property.

A good start is by simply patronizing small businesses. We must not always have whole-scale revolution.

When you get the chance, read Chesterton's Outline of Sanity. It is his defense of distributism and attack on both capitalism and socialism. I would bet that you'd enjoy it and I know it would make you think.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

You've come to the crux of the issue, good sir. I've no problem with shared possesions, even if I was orignally an ardent capitalist.

One of the main tenants of Belloc/Chesterton Distributism is that the people own the means of production. There are tenants of Marxism in this Christian third rail of economic theory, but they never go so far as to compel man to give up his property.

A good start is by simply patronizing small businesses. We must not always have whole-scale revolution.

When you get the chance, read Chesterton's Outline of Sanity. It is his defense of distributism and attack on both capitalism and socialism. I would bet that you'd enjoy it and I know it would make you think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home