Thursday, May 31, 2007

Gleanings

"US economic growth slows to slowest pace in almost 5 years" says the headline as the DOW hits a record 13700. My MSN home page is from Winston-Salem NC ( a place i lived for a few years) and daily reports on the closed factories, furniture, textiles, tobacco, manufacturing. Airline employees took a 40% pay cut. Insider trading is on the rise (Check out Che Bobs recent post)

The Dems fold, Cindy Sheehan quits, more people hopefully take the constant barrage of fundraising pleas from both parties and throw them in the trash. Surge keeps surging, we can't stay and we can't leave.

Walking into the Hitchin Post tavern in Melrose Mt after a hard day guiding I ran into fellow fishing bum Jim Harrison. Drinking Stoli on the rocks, Jim spins some great tales of saltwater flyfishing with Ted Williams and Stu Apte back in the day. I love True North and the poetry, but he is one wild character, eyes askew, untamed hair and random teeth, he could be any homeless guy in any big city.

This supposed "free speech" fight in Venezuela creates a lot more questions than answers. Look at the dress and skin color of the two groups of demonstrators and you start to get a feel for Venezuelan society. What role do Amnesty Int , Human Rights Watch, Reporters Without Borders play in political battles? How does propaganda or for that matter advertising in general fit into our notions about the free exchange of ideas? Does modern mass media change the paradigm? The discussion rages over at Renegade Eye. What role did media play in the Rwanda massacres, in Hitlers rise to power, in the Iraq War?

14 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know you used to live in W-S. That's right down the road from my new home. Any recommendations for good local stuff?

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger LeftyHenry said...

the "free speech" issue in Venezula is such BS. If a network TV station advocated the violent overthrow of the government it would be off the air in a second.

BTW I'm back : )

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

The opposition to Chavez had popular support, the world media, human rights groups, parliments supporting them, and they still lost. Pathetic.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

Chavez's supporters are firing back. 300-500 thousand of them. He gave a speech where he talked about Gramsci's theories.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

I appreciate you keeping tabs on the situation in Venezuela. I spend most of my time in my books so that I have a hard enough time following the news coming from the U.S. to say nothing of the wider world out there.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Brown John said...

Hello. This little HEADCOFFIN has been delivered to you courtesy of John Brown at
Savage Injustice
. If you think that you have received this message as the result of some error, you are mistaken. Spam other people's blogs with personal insults and racial epitaphs and you get to experience reciprocity of fate. If you believe that you should not be the recipient of this demonstration of savage/ social justice, please feel free to contact john via e-mail at this ISP: savagejustice@riseup.net and convince him to be more civil in the future.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya Troutsky, quit spamming other people's blogs with personal insults and racial epitaphs [?], whatever those are.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I'm watching your back,

My blog was threatened also. It is not going down without taking down an enemy blog or two.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

The above has nothing to do with me. I was off line for at least 48 hours.

You guys cry too much. Ask any person in my blog community about the antics of Brown.

Then again as advocates of repression and brutality you clowns may think threatening children, genuine spam and racial slurs are funny so long as the target is correct.

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

racial epitaphs [?], whatever those are.

Perhaps this is an example?

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Graeme said...

Wow. talk about having the right picture for the right moment

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger sonia said...

Eric,

Perhaps this is an example?

That tomb must be at least 100 years old... I hope...

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The grave marker is indeed more than a century old. It's from an historic graveyard in Napa County, California. I love old graveyards, both because they can tell so much about local history, and because I find them rather atmospheric.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home