Saturday, August 18, 2007

Two Faces of Hope

The terrible smoke from local forest fires drove us out of here for the last couple of days so on our way out of town I stopped at the wonderful Book Exchange and picked up some beach reading. (We went to Lake Couer d'Alene, heart of awl, in Idaho) One was a short collection of essays by Rebecca Solnit called, simply, Hope in the Dark. Written in the despair that followed the amazing activism in the Spring of 2003, it is a call to renewed organization and agitation and a reminder that we can't always know the results of our actions of struggle and resistance.

The other book I picked up that day is The Legacy of Ernest Mandel (I know,I know, I have a "narrow focus") which is a great introduction to a theorist and activist of whom I had little knowledge. But what a wonderful surprise! A direct heir to the Trotskyist foundation of revolutionary socialism, his writing and lifelong activism exude the kind of hope Solnit writes of despite the vast differences in approach. As an economist and social scientist, Mandel worked through a Marxist lens to form critical analysis of both "late capitalism" (the title of his most famous work) and of Soviet bureaucratism. Because of my poverty of economics training ,I struggle with all the formulaic jargon of "social product" and theory of value,etc. but I think the spiritual Marxism, the revolutionary humanism and allegiance to Enlightenment values (with all the tension that entails) for which he dedicated his life should be an inspiration to all of us trying to find light "in the dark". Coupled with my recent reading of Murray Bookchin I am discovering my own (till lately unknown) theoretical roots.

What was fascinating were the points of divergence in these two works dedicated to hope. Solnit, who in a more post-modern vein takes great pains to avoid labels, finally confesses to having anarchist tendencies in line with the new "horizontalism" and associates more broadly with the "anti-corporate globalism" struggle and other "progressive" causes (environmentalism, indigenous rights,fair trade etc) than with world revolution or the Left per se. In what I criticize as a sentimental, "New Age" approach, she says :"When we talk about a movement we are not talking about a specific poulation or a specific agenda but a zeitgeist, a change in the air." All in all it smacks of liberalism with it's "pathological pacifism" and reformist tendency. While I dont dismiss her efforts in dealing with real issues, nor have a problem with incremental change as a tactic, it is telling that in many of the instances she cites as reasons for hope in 2003, things are now reversed in 2007. Mandel ,on the other hand, remained an unapologetic Marxist to the end and when others were scurrying for new labels or modifiers he was doing the hard work of analyzing the complex structures of capitalist logic and opening avenues for new inquiry. Im honored to call them both comrades and am more convinced than ever of the truth of my path.

Here is a taste of the Ernest Mandel we need in our present struggle: " Socialists believe that Doomsday can still be averted if we increase the degree of rationality of our collective behavior, if we strive to take the future into our own hands. That is the freedom and self-determination we are fighting for. To believe that humankind is incapable of it is not 'being realistic'. It is to assume that men and women are congenitally unfitted for self -preservation. But that is utter superstition, a new version of the myth of 'Original Sin' " Hope, all the way baby.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

The myth of Original Sin? Chesterton once wisely called that the only doctrine of Christianity which was really provable. If man does not tend toward evil--even while he is of himself good, what Catholic call concupiscence--on his own, how do you explain all of the crimes of humanity, capitalist and otherwise?

I don't recognize most of the thinkers you read, so I can't really comment on them. Still, I'd recommend that you look at books which critique communism, especially if they do not support capitalism outright; see The Servile State and Rerum Novarum. You should also do some reading on the history of the Communist Revolution. If the seed is not rotten, you'll still need to come up with a way to avoid the mistakes of the past should your revolution succeed.

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandell, while far from simple, was simply brilliant. I had the good fortune to attend a lecture of his, at the NY Marxist School, not long before he died.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...the spiritual Marxism, the revolutionary humanism and allegiance to Enlightenment values..."
Sorry, but that is BS: Marxism is part of what is commonly, and correctly, referred to "the anti-enlightenment." Historicism, in all its forms is a priori anti-enlightenment (even thought Marx violated some of the primary tenets of historicism, he still rightly belongs in that particular trash bin). The same goes for your "revolutionary socialism," which is deeply anti-intellectual and anti-human. It is exactly these mistaken concepts that explain the near universal observation that Marxists, revolutionary socialists, etc "love" "people" in the abstract and loathe them as living, breathing individuals (as evidenced in your last post and many others). This is not some specific personality defect in you or your comrades, it is an organic flaw to the anit-enlightenment "philosophy" that you have embraced. Collectivism, in any form, and necessarily, breeds and promotes hate; hatred is organic to this ideology. And this hatred is so obvious to those outside of your world that your "love" of "the people" appears as nothing more than a facade (or worse: a Jack-the-Ripper smile).

" Socialists believe that Doomsday can still be averted if we increase the degree of rationality of our collective behavior..."

Utter dissonant nonsense. "Rationality" and "collective behavior" are hostile to one another, and "collective behavior" will always respond with hatred and violence.

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

Sorry Wiser, this is where we part ways most fundamentally.Such crimes have a host of complex historical, social, political and economic factors and "sin" is reductionism pure and simple. As to a "critique of communism", I am well versed and my analysis follows the lines of Trotsky and Mandel and many others who recognized and delineated the horrors of Stalinism (those same complex factors)and other authoritarian, bureaucratic regimes.We are working on just such "ways to avoid the mistakes of the past" tonight at our IWW meeting.Ill report on our progress.

Anon, your capacity for academic sleight of hand is deep. Using terms such as "commonly ..referred to","near universal observation" makes you sound like a polster but adds no weight to your argument.I dont want to go into some fruitless anthropological tautology to establish Mans "nature" but suffice to say there are many who don't believe it is "all against all".

As for loving "We the People", you are not the first to notice this tension between the particular (the knucklehead next door) and the general or universal (the multitude) and it is not one which I deny.I simply believe in my capacity to help create processes which facilitate getting along and you would let the "market" sort things out in it's brutal and time tested way.
"Collectivism, in any form, necessarily breeds and promotes hate." Wow, thats a far more religious statement than any by Wiser.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

If you do not accept man as fundamentally flawed; that is, you reject original sin, am I to understand that you believe, like Rousseau, that humans go bad because of their environment?

And if so, how do we hope to build a better environment, with people who have been made bad by living in one that needs to be changed?

Put another way, if you have survived in tact as good enough to make a revolution, why must we postulate that others need the revolution in order to be good?

I hope these questions make sense, and any answers you could provide will be much appreciated.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Graeme said...

certainly people are flawed and capable of horrendous acts. But, they are also kind and capable of wonderful acts.

How about we have an economic system that rewards positive behavior? Most would agree that greed isn't positive. Objectivists have been laughed out of any sort of discussion. Don't "Covet thy neighbor's goods." it is one of the ten commandments for christ's sake.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

How about we have an economic system that rewards positive behavior?

To an extent we do. I've been able to keep myself relatively free from stupid behaviors, and, as a result, I'll be living comfortably (economically speaking) upon graduation from college.

There are flaws with capitalism, especially in our bastardized form, but it does provide an economic incentive for good behavior.

Socialism, so far as I can tell, does not. Instead, one is rewarded irrespective of one's behavior. Then again, one could argue that living a perfect life in Communist Russia kept one out of the Gulag, though I don't think you'll want to take that route.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

Wiser,

I am glad to hear that, but I was talking more along global lines. How does your living comfortable factor in with the rest of the world? While you, personally, may have made wonderful choices, the people that you buy products or services from may have not.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

While you, personally, may have made wonderful choices, the people that you buy products or services from may have not.

I agree, and as a skeptic of free trade, I don't like when we outsource all of the messiness of capitalism.

But I don't see how Socialism is any different according to this rubric. Capitalism works, to a very large extent, and attempting to cultivate a capitalistic economic culture within a country--rather than simply allowing the U.S. to get cheap labor on the sly--is good policy. Our country is evidence of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home