Local Boy Makes Good
"After persuading the Bush Administration to abandon it's CO2 pledge, Bracewell launched a full-court press on behalf of another industry priority; relaxing restrictions on coal-fired power plants. Enlisted in the cause were key GOP lobbyists, including Haley Barbour, C.Boyden Gray and Marc Racicot, former governor of Montana, a Bracewell partner who was a top lobbyist for Enron and head of the Republican National Committee."
Our "boyish looking" ex governor, who served two brutal terms (for the environment,public education,public trust in general), is a snake. A viper among vipers. Rudy Guiliani is a partner at Bracewell,whose clientele includes plenty of Texas scum like T.Boone "Swift Boat" Pickens and Tom "Clear Channel" Hicks. Which reminds me of a couple of new verbs now in use, swiftboated and Dixiechicked. Though not yet found in Websters they mean : directed hate mongering campaign through mobilization of ignorant redneck lackeys. I know ,I know. What is hate mongering for Texans. Sorry, but think of Lyndon Johnson, John Connally, John Cornyn, Tom Delay! Snake pit.
From Steve Earl's Christmas in Washington:
There's foxes in the henhouse, cows out in the corn
the unions have been busted, their proud red banners torn
to listen to the radio, you'd think that all was well
But you and me and Cisco know It's going straight to hell
So come back Emma Goldman, rise up old Joe Hill
the barricades are goin up
They cannot break our will
La lucha obrera no tiene fronteras!
"It is hard to find any fervent post-colonialist who will agree that, having thrown off the imperial yoke, the ex-colonial peoples should be free to choose dictatorship, theocracy, tribalism, nepotism, clitoridectomy, or the rule of warlords." Robin Fox, in his essay The kindness of Strangers, is attempting to explain the difficulties of emancipation but I think he misses the mark, especially when he claims the old formula,"No bourgeoise, no democracy" holds true. In the case of any kind of collective trauma (such as colonialism) the victims are not left "free" in the sense he describes. As in the instance of Stockholm Syndrome, would we say a kidnap victim is "free" to join his/her captors? If the Iraqis are a "long way from grasping the concept of citizenship" I would ask him to consider their collective experience (CIA assisted coup, years of war,sanctions, dictatorship) and tell me any society would emerge without pathology. As for bourgeois democracy, it is a hollow shell, a game or parody, acted out on the stage for the benefit of convention and appearances. Healthy people, I don't care what culture or ethnic background, do not choose exploitation and oppression. Sorry if I sound like Reagan or Bush.

6 Comments:
Great post. Though some think it's hallowed, it is a hollowed shell.
Also, for the Iraqi, I think the fact that their boarders of "citizenship" were drawn by the French and the British should weigh heavy in that list of war, sanctions, ect...
I think Iraqis are in Frantz fanon mode. All actions supported by the colonialists, even well intentioned, are seen as a national humiliation.
If the Iraqis are a "long way from grasping the concept of citizenship" I would ask him to consider their collective experience (CIA assisted coup, years of war,sanctions, dictatorship) and tell me any society would emerge without pathology (...) Healthy people, I don't care what culture or ethnic background, do not choose exploitation and oppression.
Bingo! The key word here is "healthy people". Some people think politics is like math - substract the problem (colonialism) and you'll get back to "normal". Not true at all. Politics is more like chemistry. Once you dissolve salt (colonialism) in the water, it will remain salty no matter what you try to do.
But just because some people continue to drink salty water doesn't mean we have to applaud and encourage them. We can condemn those who do, and applaud those who refuse to do it.
"Condemn" or critique, sonia? One is constructive, the other just seems to exacerbate problems.Maybe Im parsing but the condemner has to come from a place of moral authority hard to find nowdays, Vaclav Havel, Jimmy Carter,Walechsa(sp?)have baggage.Again,I don't know much about psychology and hesitate to oversimplify but I know "damaged" people when I meet them.
the condemner has to come from a place of moral authority, Vaclav Havel, Jimmy Carter,Walesa have baggage.
I know. Those living in glass houses shouldn't be hurling stones. Everybody has baggage. Got it.
It's a perfect way to shut everyone up. Except the oppressors themselves.
As long as we'll follow those rules, oppression will continue.
are there rules that don't oppress?
are there laws that don't cause crime? People are taught to be cripples by crutches looking for work.
I can't believe I'm so agreeing with you, Sonia. What's come over me? I am, aren't I?
As far as baggage disqualifying people — how absurd. Show me someone who hasn't fucked up and I'll show you someone who's never ventured outside the complicit mediocre mainstream. Give me the adventurous experience any day, I can judge for myself whether they're worse for it or not.
Post a Comment
<< Home