Make A Deposit
CitiBank, with it's 2.2 trillion dollars of assets is in a position to call some shots, this being a democracy and all, where spending money to influence things is a constitutional right. In their new "Green-ness" they are "engaging with their clients on their carbon reduction efforts."
Of course business is business and there are plans for 150 new coal fired power plants across the country. ( Montana has six in progress or on the drawing board) Citibank and Bank of America are the top lenders to companies involved in this expansion, which would add between 600 million and 1.1 billion tons of additional carbon dioxide emmisions and negate every other effort to combat climate change. Forget the lightbulbs, the Prius, planting a tree. Invest in choking the life out of yourself.
How about the bank where you do business, what do you suppose they invest in? Maybe they are owners in Chinese or Indian coal plants, the global leaders in this sector and a place to make real profits. Speaking of Montana, our Governor has big plans to liquify our coal and burn it cleaner and sequester carbon in the ground. This could make us the Saudi Arabia of the US! He could be a shiek! Maybe Missoula could be a northern Dubai. Gleaming glass towers , fountains, Tiffanys, Bentleys! Then we could really BE SOMEBODY. Time to make another deposit.

9 Comments:
the al gores of the world like to blame us for global warming and leave big industry off the hook.
Good point Graeme. I still can't figure out why the US won't invest in nuclear power. Everything I've read points to nuclear as a far better form of energy. I'm probably not following the money.
Gore might run for president according to Hitchens.
Wiser: Do you want the plant in your neighborhood?
this same sequestering issue is a hangup, no one wants the waste, no one wants it transported through their yard. As a good,modern citizen of the 21st century I turn naturally to Scientists to figure this out.Where are you Scientists?
z
Wiser: Do you want the plant in your neighborhood?
I can't speak for Wiser, but, I'm not particularly afraid of nuclear power plants themselves. In fact, I've spent many a happy hour fearlessly fishing for smallmouth bass in the shadow of Three Mile Island. What I wouldn't want in my neighborhood, nor anyone else's, is the nuclear waste disposal facility. Nuclear power generation will never be truly "clean" nor safe unless and until there's a clean, safe way to dispose of the waste.
Starting pitcher Livan Hernandez had walked three to load the bases, and then got out of the jam. ...
"I got more pressure when I live in Cuba and I get up in the morning looking for something [to eat],'' Hernandez said.
Wiser: Do you want the plant in your neighborhood?
Sure. I'd especially prefer it to a coal plant.
GO RAVENS!!!!!!!
The American Dream, be a big leaguer.The Bigs.Ten Million dollar contracts.Is this a great country or what?
Post a Comment
<< Home