Trout Goes Local
With a day off in front of me I thought "what could be more exasperating than a public meeting with our County Commisioners over zoning regulations? Why.. ,nothing!" so off I trotted to "get my fair share of abuse" ,as Kieth and Mick put it. Interestingly ,I found myself sympathizing with the wacky south valley residents who exemplify those "victims of modernity" I write about occasionally. Historically, they were the simple folks who proudly worked their knuckles to the bone for such Conglomerates as Champion Int. and Plum Creek Timber. They had decent jobs and an IDENTITY,they were in fact the very embodiment of the rugged individualist Western mythos until their corporate masters got greedy? greedier?followed the logic of capitalism and tried to cut every last tree.
Fast forward to the eighties and some new science which showed the rapacious logging responsible for all kinds of degradation, fisheries, water quality and quantity, species loss, and on and on. Lawsuits get filed and it is the "damn environmentalists"and government regulators that are out to destroy their way of life. The Giant corporations take the money and run, shut the mills, sell the butchered land they own as real estate and leave the Public Lands for the next generation to clean up. We get armed uprisings and militias and sieges and a simmering, seething mistrust of all things new, new rules , new residents, new lingo like "consensus building" and "public processes". From 1979 to 1984 I worked as a choker setter and skidder operator and rode in the 4 am dark packed into "crummys"(company crew cab pickups) drinking coffee and finished my days in logger bars drinking stronger potions so I know directly of what I speak.
Back at the meeting, these refugees from a simpler time stood as a group in the back of the room with their beards and ball caps and checkered shirts and felt alive again as they took on the powers that be. They said they "just want to be left alone!"Little matter that their arguments and reasoning and facts were totally skewed and incomprehensible, that they had no concept of the forces at work or what exactly it was they were resisting. They want what was. They are terrified of the huge question mark which stretches in front of them, the real possibility of further impoverishment, exploitation and powerlessness. What they asked for is the right to secede, to opt out of the county-wide process, to live on their little island and not have to deal with the complexities and uncertainties of a fast growing and changing society. I say let them have their refuge, their illusion, for as long as they can maintain it. It can be like Jamestown or Frontierland at Disneyworld. Like the Taliban or the Mennonites, maybe they can find refuge in a time bubble. More likely it will become a Mecca for Libertarian nut jobs the country over and they will unwittingly bring on a flood. So it goes.

5 Comments:
I run into people, who are going to save money, and live in a remote part of Alaska. It's a daunting task, when the pieces are put together.
It looks like capitalists, are the thieves of private property.
I think you make a good point by bringing up the Taliban. These folks seem more pathetic than terrorist, but what they share with the muslim extremists is an unwillingness, or inability to face up to the facts of modernity. It's a pretty common problem, I think. Been going on for a long time.
The hippies sang, "We've got to get ourselves baaa..ck to the garden!" It's all the same impulse, and it's a dead end. Rationality can seem so dispiriting by comparison, but it's the only way out and forward.
Now hold on a second. Just because I'm not fond of modernity doesn't make me analogous to the Taliban.
What the heck's wrong with wanting to be left alone?
I was commenting on a general similarity in ideology, not remarking on individuals. But saying you are "not fond of modernity," is a lot different from saying, "we can turn back the clock to 1700 - let's do it." I have my criticisms of modernity, but they are just that, criticisms. I don't deny 500 years of history.
As for being left alone, fine. Your freedom ends where my nose begins. Maybe you're not as "alone" as you think.
It really is an ancient dilemna but need it be an "either or" question? I want moments of "alone", or privacy, but also feel a need at times to develop community. Im describing folks who feel both these pulls but can not articulate it or imagine a process to balance both. Property and wealth become a wall of separation.
Post a Comment
<< Home