Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gunship Porn

Something about the way Amy Goodman and others have been playing the WikiLeak helicopter gunship footage over and over bothers me. Looking through the Sarah Palin gunsights, interviewing the grieving families and drawn out shots of the sad eyed children gets way too Oprah Winfrey when we really need journalism 101.

The Missoula City Council passed an anti-discrimination ordinance late last night that includes gender and sexual orientation. Of course the God cult was there in force with their faithful Libertarian allies. They had formed a group called Not In My Bathroom ( you can't make this stuff up, though John Irving has tried) to fight this humanistic interference into the Natural Order of things. (Natural Order has an Invisible Hand, remember) They will no longer be able to send their young daughters into restrooms where men in dresses lay waiting. With all the "terrible problems in the world" why add yet another worry?

This brand of Libertarian would prefer to see these social issues worked out in the cultural arena rather than the political. Rather than be coerced, they will eventually come along ( kicking and screaming) as social mores evolve.For instance,eventually blacks have been accepted as human! Now give them rights! But not power, of course.

The God folk don't evolve so much as endure. Shaking their heads in disgust,waving their signs, they can only wait for the glorious day when they are Risen and the rest are Left Behind. Can't happen soon enough for me either and I hope if Jesus does come back he brings Woody Guthrie with him.

I wonder if California has considered applying to the IMF for some bail-out funding,a la Greece? The Gay Agenda appears to be in disarray in the Golden Bear State, having failed to get enough signatures for their marriage initiative. By the way Ducky, I went to Beaks blog but he was busy sorting through some intra-factional issues concerning a certain special skin pigmentation. That's a rough crowd to hang with. Good to see he's a union man however. Any you boys not paid up on your card?

10 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Not in My Bathroom?

Isn't that the Larry Craig organization from Idaho?

I need a highball.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

I hope if Jesus does come back he brings Woody Guthrie with him.


-----------------------

For the ages.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

This brand of Libertarian would prefer to see these social issues worked out in the cultural arena rather than the political.

That's the whole point of libertarianism, Trout. There's a realm outside of politics, hopefully a big one, in which the majority of our decisions should be made.

By the way, I'm interested to see if the term libertarian is destroyed over the next decade or so. Usually, the way you can tell someone is appropriating the term is if they claim to be concerned about government, but love the military.

I'm not sure what kind of libertarians you guys get over there. Strange world...

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Should be made? Why? You are simply stating a dogma.

The "cultural arena" moves like freaking molasses and you are going to have to move in pretty mysterious ways to demonstrate that the majority is always the proper arbiter of civil rights, you know slavery and stuff like that, how long does it take to fall away without the intervention of the state.

This idea that the state is NECESSARILY evil is dogma pure and simple. The term libertarian has already been destroyed. The idea that millions of individual actors under control of "the free market"(LMFAO) is not something that can be accepted out of hand. It's all well and good to exit tight spots by saying that the market made the decision and therefore it is proper but we know that's the pure stinky cheese.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger troutsky said...

Larry Craig organization! Ohmygod, I wish I had thought of that earlier!

Wiser: I agree certain contests need to take place in the cultural arena but would have more confidence in a process not dominated by capital. Of course the same problem exists in the political, and I would argue, judicial spheres as well.

Even assuming a neutral State, I'm not sure how that dispensation gets decided ( cultural vs political) Any thoughts?

Ducky, "Pure molasses" is a problem as modern life speeds up. My conservative side rebels against this and yearns for a slower time, when politics could "wait" for culture.

Then you throw in the huge disparity in development rates across the globe...Islam and the West, California and the Congo, etc.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Amy Goodman's show never leads anywhere, because she won't break with the Democrats. She throws softballs at those like Kucinich.

The Bolsheviks were the first government in history, to give gay people legal rights. In addition they abolished all laws without victims. Abortion was legalized. All of that was reversed by Stalin later.

All conservatives including libertarians, are having second thoughts about the Republicans role in the Civil War. All are now pro-secession and nostalgic about the slave economy. Someone in the Oklahoma state government, proposed a militia against "federal government intrusion."

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger sandykrolick, ph.d., editor FIBP said...

I don't care if it rains or freezes; long as I got my plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard of my car!

I remember this from a friend in HS; thought it was funny; and all this talk of Jesus...well.. you get it. LMFAO!!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

Right now, trout, I think we have a little too much "culture". It has become a commodity and the nature of the market is to stifle change.
Produce lots of it but take all the richness, diversity and difficulty out of it.

It becomes difficult for people to produce their own. We have become consumers of "culture" rather than producers and I think non profit government subsidy is critical for development.

Participate, contemplate, be critical and move away from this state of being a simple consumption engine constantly needing a jolt just to let you know you're alive.

If Woody came back he'd have a tough time being heard, a real tough time.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Ducky's here said...

That was kind of a neat song, kultur. It was put out by New York Broadside magazine and is on a box set of songs published in Broadside.

Old Jewish communist couple kept it going for some time and published some good music. Beak must have loved the old Broadside.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger sandykrolick, ph.d., editor FIBP said...

LMFAO Ducky!!

Also, Guy Debord was right about the commodity fetishism, yes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home