Almost Wierd Enough
"Golly, you hear a lot of strange and unnatural things about the world these days. Lazlo and Nixon are both gone now, but I don't think I'm going to believe that. Not until I can gnaw on their skulls,because it still hasn't gotten wierd enough for me."
Hunter S Thompson
Too bad Hunter didn't live to witness this circus. I woke in Elko Nev. this morning and choked down some motel coffee while watching the Fox News report on our glorious success in negotiating a cease-fire in Basra. A Whirling Dervish could not spin with such ferocity. By the way, every motel in America has it's TV tuned to Fox. That's what we're up against.Nobody really pays much attention but like with country western music, the narrative gets through. Anyway, it seems we spent a trillion dollars training the Iraqi forces and those that didn't defect couldn't take the city. Augmented with US air power! Did they not read the Petraeus manual on counter-insurgency? Poor translation?
But at least our government is proposing tough new regulations designed to avert a future economic crisis, whew, what a relief to know they are on it! Certainly re-newed my confidence in the System. What a coincidence that the Secretary of Housing resigned (to spend more time with his family) just three minutes after the Big Proposal was unvieled? Hopefully he managed to get Pervez Musharrif a condo in Miami Beach before being busted. Whatever happened to Larry Craig?
Bill Clinton will be in Montana this week and though it is unlikely he will describe the Reverend Wright as an Uppity N----r I'm sure he will get the point across. All the old friends I visited in California are liberals and will be voting for Obama despite Bills efforts. Even my old man, a registered Republican, is voting for him.They are all "hopeful" there will be "change". Something else we are up against. One in eight people in Michigan, (more in Rhode Island ) recieves food stamps? Did I hear that right?
Anyway, lots of those same old friends and aquaintances we visited expressed feeling a sort of disorienting state of wierdness, a down-the-rabbit-hole discombobulation mixed with anger and frustration that they struggled to explain. Especially in light of their "hope" for "change". By and large they weren't ready for my radical analysis or annotation of some of Clintons, Carters, Kennedys crimes, lots of uneasy throat clearing and sideways glances, but they have something to chew on which explains a lot of wierdness and they know how to reach me.

4 Comments:
On friday in North Dakota we have both Obama and Hillary in Grand Forks. I'm not quite sure how they pulled that off.
I have a friend who told me Hillary Clinton is about as left wing as one can get. That is also what we're up against.
Why is it that the Democrats wind up with presidential hopefulls that are so flawed politically? Both Obama and Clinton carry such "heavy" baggage that opening same has and will provide comic relief right through the primary cycle.
Sure, we all want "change" but at what cost?
Roman: In a way I agree with you. The truth is that a broomstick can win against the Republicans. The hatred of Bush is visceral.
Hillary has a 10% chance at the nomination.
Troutsky: Funny that the US is siding with the more pro-Iranian Maliki against the less pro-Iranian Sadr.
My wife is at an Obama rally in Missoula as I write this. I couldn't face it.Hopefully Che Bob is there pointing out some of his "ultra-liberal" positions on Israel and Colombia.
Roman, one cost of accepting the status quo is thirty thousand humans dying of starvation every day.The change Im talking about is turning the upside down world right side up.
Post a Comment
<< Home