Here We Go
Pre-speech:
I am switching back and forth between FOX , CNN and al Jazeera and it is a fascinating window into narrative. Fox stresses the "worry of Israel" interviewing Judith Miller and former ambassador Dan Gellerman who focus on the "existential" threat. They love authority and "stability" saying "Thank God the army is in charge!"
CNN is just a confused jumble of fear and weird speculative uncertainty but the one thing neither channel mentions is the effect of the massive strikes of the last two days. Egyptian State TV went from saying the protesters are foreign agents eating Kentucky Fried Chicken to showing protesters hugging soldiers with patriotic music in the background.
The generals showed a meeting they were holding where Mubarak was noticeably absent and announced "they would continue meeting". No one on mainstream TV has said the word neoliberalism.
Post speech:
Sclerotic is the best word I can think of. Fareed Zacharia used "delusional". It seems to me Mubarak has taken the Israeli line, "stability" and "foreign agents" and obfuscating rhetoric. His first words really said it all when he addressed the people as "my children". Now he opens the door for increased violence and he will end up with his bank accounts froze, living in Saudi Arabia to avoid the Hague. His choice I guess. First as Tragedy, then as Farce.
A few minutes later: Now I'm actually listening to Glen Beck try to wrap his head around Egypt. It's not pretty. "Arch Duke Ferdinand moment" " beginning of the New World Order". As I mentioned, there is no way for him to fit this into his frame ( logically, coherently) but that doesn't keep him from trying.

7 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fox had "Jailhouse" Judy Miller as a commentator? She was one of The Dauphin's favorites from the NYT steno pool.
I always figured her for a CIA asset.
Crowd's in Egypt aren't backing down. Obama wants calm.
She was "reporting" from Tel Aviv.
There is a split on one side Israel and CIA, saying Mubarak stay, and Obama and State Dept saying Mubarak go.
It's not that simple Ren, Obama doesn't really want Mubarak to go, he's just talking out of both sides of his ass, and Mubarak is a willing enabler of his duplicity. I guess you bought the bullshit "leak" as well, that Mubarak is "furious" at Obama. Just more bullshit. You guys are so easy it would almost be hilarious if it weren't so serious.
Glen --- Much like our friend, Beakerkin!!
here come the Beak
Post a Comment
<< Home