Saturday, April 05, 2008

Montana Matters

Both Hillary and Barack are here this weekend. My wife is at the Barack Show as I write, and while I may vote for him, I will not adore him. ( to be fair ,she is also there to gather signatures) I wonder what he thinks, looking out on that sea of white faces? I wonder if he can throw horse shoes any better than he bowls?

Somone should have thrown McCain off that balcony, has the puke no shame? I half expected him to say "I have a dream" in that nasaly high pitched whine. Running Mate Joe Lieberman? Could you imagine anything more loathsome?

Alain Badiou asks us (the left-left) to declare "there is only one world" in an essay in the NLR Jan-Feb. Instead of First World -Third World or North-South or the outdated East-West "we must affirm the existence of the single world right from the start ,as axiom and principle...a recognition that all belong to the same world as myself: the African worker I see in the restaurant kitchen, the Morrocan I see digging a hole in the road, the veiled woman looking after children in a park. That is where we reverse the dominant idea of the world united by objects and signs, to make a unity in terms of living, acting beings, here and now.These people ,different from me in terms of language ,clothes, religion ,food ,education, exist exactly as I do myself; since they exist like me,I can discuss with them-and ,as with anyone else, we can agree and disagree about things."

Badiou also has an interesting new book called Polemics (which I saw in the amazing City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco) where he argues for a renewed offensive of the ideological, a departure from and perhaps reply to Mouffe's Return of the Political. I will see what I can do to synthesize, soon as I can get my hands on it. Today my assignment is to read Punching Out by Martin Glaberman for a Wobbly Discussion Group we're putting together. (It's to cold to go fishing) He sounds like one of those Ernest Mandel-type- un-reformed Marxists. I admire their fortitude.

7 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I like that idea of abolishing the idea of the third world and second world.

Third worldism amounts to being nationalism, and actually it was then as well.

It particularly doesn't make sense, with Stalinism dead.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger sonia said...

Running Mate Joe Lieberman? Could you imagine anything more loathsome?

Really ? In that case, you should thank Dubya for making sure that this "loathsome" Lieberman didn't become vice-president in 2000...

And yes, I can imagine something far more loathsome. Starting with leaders of Zimbabwe and Venezuela...

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Sonia: I doubt if Troutsky supported Lieberman in 2000 either.

I don't understand putting Zimbabwe and Venezuela in the same sentence. Venezuela has state to state relations with Colombia and Zimbabwe. What do you want to compare about Zimbabwe and Venezuela? GNP? Electoral system?

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger sonia said...

Ren,

What do you want to compare about Zimbabwe and Venezuela?

Their demagogic leaders, both equally insane, both equally pig-headed, both equally convinced that they didn't do anything wrong, both convinced that foreigners (white colonizers or grigos) are responsible for everything that is wrong with their countries, both perfect examples of how one crazy person can singlehandedly wreck and destroy an entire nation.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

This also show how obsessed with Israel and Iraq commies are. Lieberman has a fairly liberal voting record.

As far as loathsome a person who venerates a butcher as the messiah does not posses higher faculties.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Sonia: That's not a political analysis.

Lieberman has character issues. His website ran out of bandwidth, and he blamed political opponents for hacking, even after the FBI told him it wasn't true. In order to win reelection, he portrayed himself as antiwar. There is nothing special about Lieberman, that doesn't apply to leaders of both parties.

I used to think McCain would pick Condi as VP. She is pro abortion rights.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger troutsky said...

They published some poll that shows a McCain-Condi ticket beating a Hillary /Obama ticket. Didn't mention an Oprah/ Clooney ticket, but with Colin Powells endorsement , it seems a shoo in!

I used to think sonia was serious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home