Boots on the Ground
Local activists are busy. Last week we (CAJA, IWW, SESJ) had two great speakers up for a panel on the disaster known as NAFTA. I'm not exactly sure what Obama was getting at when he said "bitter" people "turn against trade" but deals like the one crusaded into law by Hillary's Husband have simply served to enrich a few while impoverishing and displacing the many. Our panel guests told the audience at the well attended event that investment capital uses language like "lifting all boats" but fails to distinquish the yachts from the dingys or leaky inner tubes.
Last Wednesday saw nine students occupy the deans office at the U of M for the first time since the end of the Viet Nam War, this time demanding that the school adopt the Desinated Suppliers Program to assure it's merchandise is not made in sweat shops. These young CAJA proteges negotiated patiently with a pathetic and embarrased administration for seven hours before being arrested and we made enough noise right outside the office doors to let them know we are fighting this one to the finish. It is heartening indeed to see students rise up again and demand accountability, I wish a few more old tax payers would join them. Forty one schools have adopted this program and this one will be next. Then the Coke Contract comes up for renewal, yeehah!
Yesterday evening we hosted Maria Ruth Sanabria, a mother of six from the war torn region of Arauca, Colombia. She, along with fellow Cajista Scott Nicholson, described the human toll of ongoing US military aid to the corrupt Colombian government and how militarization and exploitation of energy resources by multi-nationals insure there can never be a peaceful settlement. Some bible toting geekster sat through the whole thing and when Maria Ruth began taking questions he gave a long sermon on how missionary friends of his claimed Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro were behind the violence. She ,of course, gave him a big SMACK DOWN but it is fascinating how such lies are circulated. Scott has lived and done accompanyment work in the region for two years and will be recieving the Montana Amnesty International Human Rights Award on Sunday. It was wonderful to have these warriors for justice as house guests and we talked until late and again over much coffee the next morning. (fair trade) Perhaps this will be our next trip, visiting Scott and Sonia, Yaneth, Maria Ruth and these other inspiring souls. If we can get The Party to subsidize it, right Beak?!

5 Comments:
sounds wonderful. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I believe we are starting to see an alternative to the corporate duopoly starting to come about in the midwest states (maybe we'll make them real red states!)
When I first started getting involved in local activism, I was stuck with the dems.
locally the Steelworkers hired an exiled Colombian unionist to work for them. He dislikes the FARC.
Graeme,I believe ther e is a real yearning out here for an authentic life with integrity which the present structure does not provid. Unfortunately, peoples heads are filled with gobbledygook, conspiricies and anti-semitism, racism,wacky theories worse than crypto-mystical cult worship.We need to rescue the left.
Ren, the FARC has turned into gangsters, worse than Mormons.
I agree Troutsky. And I would add, sometimes we (myself included) get too damn principled. I've spent my whole life with the god and guns crowd, but I still sometimes feel like I alienate support by picking fights with people on certain topics.
Some people started a bike collective here and I have my eye on an old pedal bike to revive. It is an old body shop off a busy street that is quite wild, but quite beautiful as well. People from diverse backgrounds helping each other fix up their bikes with no profit incentive at all. I believe this is the natural order of things, but given our environment today, it is quite amazing to participate in.
Here is a link
Post a Comment
<< Home